William H. Angoff Memorial Lecture Series Reports
William H. Angoff,
Most Recent Lecture
View a short video synopsis (Flash, 4 min. 41 sec.) or a full-length video (Flash, 1 hour 16 min.) of the most recent William H. Angoff Memorial Lecture, given in February 2011 by Michael J. Feuer, Dean of the Graduate School of Education and Human Development (GSEHD) at The George Washington University.
About the Lecture Series
The Angoff Lecture Series was established in 1994 to honor the life and work of William H. Angoff, an ETS research scientist who distinguished himself as a prominent contributor in the field of educational measurement in more than 40 years at ETS. During that time, Angoff authored some of the classic publications on psychometrics, including the definitive text "Scales, Norms, and Equivalent Scores," which appeared in Robert L. Thorndike's Educational Measurement (2nd edition).
The lecture series honors Angoff's legacy by encouraging and supporting the discussion of public interest issues related to educational measurement. The series is devoted to relatively nontechnical discussions of important public interest issues related to educational measurement.
The William H. Angoff Lecture Series reports are published by ETS's Policy Information Center.
- No Country Left Behind: Rhetoric and Reality of International Large-Scale Assessment
By M.J. Feuer (August 2012)
Angoff Lecture No. 13
- Errors of Measurement, Theory, and Public Policy
By M. Kane (January 2010)
Angoff Lecture No. 12 ($15.00)
- Schooling, Statistics, and Poverty: Can We Measure School Improvement?
By S.W. Raudenbush (November 2004)
Angoff Lecture No. 9 ($15.00)
- Standards, Assessments, and Educational Policy: In Pursuit of Genuine Accountability
By L. Darling-Hammond (January 2006)
Angoff Lecture No. 8 ($15.00)
- The Second Century of Ability Testing: Some Predictions and Speculations
By S. Embretson (February 2003)
Angoff Lecture No. 7 ($10.50)
- The Evolution of Educational Assessment: Considering the Past and Imagining the Future
By J.W. Pellegrino (July 2004)
Angoff Lecture No. 6 ($10.50)
- Understanding Educational Quality: Where Validity Meets Technology
By E.L. Baker (November 2000)
Angoff Lecture No. 5 ($10.50)
- National Tests and Education Reform: Are They Compatible?
By L.V. Jones (November 1997)
Angoff Lecture No. 4 ($10.50)
- Measuring Achievement: What Does It Mean to Test for Robust Understanding?
By L.A. Shepard (October 1997)
Angoff Lecture No. 3 ($10.50)
- Setting Performance Standards: Content, Goals, and Individual Differences
By B.F. Green (1996)
Angoff Lecture No. 2 ($10.50)
- Assessment-Based Reform: Challenges to Educational Measurement
By R.L. Linn (August 1995)
Angoff Lecture No. 1 ($10.50)