William H. Angoff Memorial Lecture Series Reports
William H. Angoff,
Most Recent Lecture
The 14th William H. Angoff Memorial Lecture, "Reliability and Validity of Inferences About Teachers Based on Student Test Scores," was delivered in March 2013 by Edward H. Haertel, Jacks Family Professor of Education at Stanford University. Professor Haertel discussed the reliability and validity of teacher value-added scores, whether they measure what they purport to measure and are free from bias and distortion, and how strongly they relate to other indicators reflecting broader notions of teacher quality or effectiveness.
View a full-length video (Flash, 1 hour, 58 sec.) of the lecture. Slides are also available from the March presentation. A short video interview (Flash, 6 min. 12 sec.) where Professor Haertel talks about Value-Added Models and other ways of assessing teacher effectiveness is also available.
About the Lecture Series
The Angoff Lecture Series was established in 1994 to honor the life and work of William H. Angoff, an ETS research scientist who distinguished himself as a prominent contributor in the field of educational measurement in more than 40 years at ETS. During that time, Angoff authored some of the classic publications on psychometrics, including the definitive text "Scales, Norms, and Equivalent Scores," which appeared in Robert L. Thorndike's Educational Measurement (2nd edition).
The lecture series honors Angoff's legacy by encouraging and supporting the relatively nontechnical discussion of public interest issues related to educational measurement.
- No Country Left Behind: Rhetoric and Reality of International Large-Scale Assessment
By M. J. Feuer (August 2012)
Angoff Lecture No. 13
- Errors of Measurement, Theory, and Public Policy
By M. Kane (January 2010)
Angoff Lecture No. 12 ($15.00)
- Schooling, Statistics, and Poverty: Can We Measure School Improvement?
By S. W. Raudenbush (November 2004)
Angoff Lecture No. 9 ($15.00)
- Standards, Assessments, and Educational Policy: In Pursuit of Genuine Accountability
By L. Darling-Hammond (January 2006)
Angoff Lecture No. 8 ($15.00)
- The Second Century of Ability Testing: Some Predictions and Speculations
By S. Embretson (February 2003)
Angoff Lecture No. 7 ($10.50)
- The Evolution of Educational Assessment: Considering the Past and Imagining the Future
By J. W. Pellegrino (July 2004)
Angoff Lecture No. 6 ($10.50)
- Understanding Educational Quality: Where Validity Meets Technology
By E. L. Baker (November 2000)
Angoff Lecture No. 5 ($10.50)
- National Tests and Education Reform: Are They Compatible?
By L. V. Jones (November 1997)
Angoff Lecture No. 4 ($10.50)
- Measuring Achievement: What Does It Mean to Test for Robust Understanding?
By L. A. Shepard (October 1997)
Angoff Lecture No. 3 ($10.50)
- Setting Performance Standards: Content, Goals, and Individual Differences
By B. F. Green (1996)
Angoff Lecture No. 2 ($10.50)
- Assessment-Based Reform: Challenges to Educational Measurement
By R. L. Linn (August 1995)
Angoff Lecture No. 1 ($10.50)