Equipment and Environment Checklist
Confirm these requirements for your computer and testing room before registering.
ETSStart Your Registration with
Log in, select the Special Home Edition option and pay for your test.
Complete Your Registration with ProctorU
From the email link, select a test date and time, and complete your registration.
The Testing Experience
Learn what is expected of you and what you should expect when taking the test.
After the Test
Receive your scores and learn about retesting if needed.
The Testing Experience
Be sure that you understand the TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition testing procedures, have the appropriate materials, and prepare the room where you will test.
Watch the At Home Testing with ProctorU® video.
Video and Online Monitoring
- During the test, a human proctor will monitor you (via video camera) and your computer screen to ensure you follow all testing procedures.
- Your entire test session will be recorded and your photo will be taken. Your photo from the test session will be shared with institutions as part of your TOEFL iBT score report.
Test Environment Reminders
- Make sure you are alone in a quiet, well-lit room.
- Make sure your table and the surrounding area is clear.
- Do not wear headphones or earphones.
- Make sure your ears are always visible and not covered by hair, a hat or other items.
- Recording devices of any kind are strictly prohibited.
- Make sure your face is visible and not obscured by sunglasses or other accessories.
- Avoid wearing such items as jewelry, tie clips, cuff links, ornate clips, combs, barrettes, headbands and other hair accessories.
- Make sure you have acceptable note taking materials, such as a whiteboard or plastic transparency sheet, that can be erased in view of the proctor.
- Log in to your ProctorU account at your appointment time. You will have up to 15 minutes after your scheduled time to begin your check in. If you have not checked in by that time, your test will be canceled and your fee will not be refunded.
- Select “Start Session.”
- Complete the authentication steps, which include showing your ID to the proctor. The name on your ID must match the name on your ETS account.
- The proctor will review the exam rules and request access to your computer screen for monitoring purposes.
- The proctor will ask you to use either a hand-held mirror or cell phone to show your computer screen.
- The proctor will ask you to use the camera on your computer to show a 360-degree view of the room, including your tabletop surface.
- When directed by the proctor, you will launch the ETS Test Browser. The proctor will provide the password to access the test.
During the Test
- Make sure you can be seen on camera by the proctor. Suspicious movements could invalidate your test.
- Do not use any unauthorized materials, including mobile devices, prewritten notes or textbooks.
- Do not communicate with anyone else.
- There may be references to using a headset during your test. Ignore these, because headsets are not allowed in the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test.
- There is a 10-minute break after the Listening section when you are allowed to leave your seat. If you do not return on time, your test will be canceled and your fee will not be refunded. Unscheduled breaks are not allowed.
- At the end of the test, you will be able to view unofficial scores for the Reading and Listening sections. Then you will be given the option to report or cancel your scores.
What’s next? Learn about score reporting and more.