TOEFL ITP® Plus for China Solution
To meet the needs of students from Mainland China who are currently unable to take the TOEFL iBT® test due to testing suspensions there, ETS and the TOEFL® program are temporarily offering the TOEFL ITP® Plus for China solution. This solution combines the existing paper-delivered TOEFL ITP Level 1 test with a short, unscored video speaking interview, provided by Vericant. The TOEFL ITP Plus for China solution is a suitable choice for evaluating applicants for admission purposes while the TOEFL iBT test is not available in China.
Learn more about TOEFL ITP Plus for China solution.
About the TOEFL ITP® Test
Based on the long-standing rich heritage and expertise of the TOEFL test, the ETS research-backed, paper-delivered TOEFL ITP test is normally administered by institutions for their specific placement, monitoring progress and program exit needs, and as such, is generally not intended as a replacement for the TOEFL iBT test. However, as part of the TOEFL ITP Plus solution, it is a suitable choice for evaluating applicants for admission purposes from China while the TOEFL iBT test is not available.
During this period, this TOEFL ITP Plus version of the test will be administered in China as a paper-pencil test in official ATA-operated test centers under ETS-mandated protocols, procedures and proctors to provide security comparable to that of the TOEFL iBT test, as well as best-in-class procedures for high-stakes paper-based testing.
Please note that the TOEFL ITP Plus test being offered in China during this time is the Level 1 version of the test (Intermediate to Advanced), NOT the Level 2 version (High Beginning to Intermediate).
The current TOEFL ITP FAQ page offers a good introduction to the TOEFL ITP test and helps answer general questions about the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series.
For specific questions about the TOEFL ITP China Plus solution, see our FAQ TOEFL ITP China Plus solution.
Test Content and Format
Like the TOEFL iBT test, the TOEFL ITP test uses academic content to evaluate the English-language proficiency of non-native English speakers, giving you confidence about your students' ability in a real-world academic setting. All questions are multiple choice, evaluating skills in 3 areas:
- Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities.
- Structure and Written Expression measures recognition of selected structural and grammatical points in standard written English.
- Reading Comprehension measures the ability to read and understand academic reading material written in English.
The TOEFL ITP Plus for China test content, format and scoring are the same as the institutionally administered version of the TOEFL ITP Level 1 test. This TOEFL ITP test is intended for use in intermediate to advanced students, and takes approximately 2 hours.
Administration and Security
Your need for trusted and secure scores remains unchanged, and ETS's commitment to security is likewise unchanged. Though the administration of this test is a temporary measure until TOEFL iBT testing resumes in test centers in Mainland China, you can be confident in the security of TOEFL ITP Plus for China scores.
The TOEFL ITP Plus for China solution will:
- administer the TOEFL ITP test in a secure, ETS authorized test center, operated by ATA, under ETS-mandated protocols, procedures, test center administrators and proctors to provide security comparable to that of the TOEFL iBT test
- follow security protocols aligned with best-in-class procedures for high-stakes paper-delivered testing
- include a short video speaking interview offered through Vericant, an established, known provider of third-party interviews for higher education use
For the Vericant interview, students will go through a 3-step verification process to ensure the student's identity and link the interview for each student with that student's TOEFL ITP Plus test scores. In addition, interview questions are selected at random and all follow-up questions are non-scripted based on the student's response to guarantee no 2 interviews are alike.
Starting May 15, 2020, registration for the combined TOEFL ITP Plus for China solution will be available to all Chinese students until TOEFL iBT testing resumes in test centers in Mainland China.
- Students first register for the TOEFL ITP test section and select the date and times available. After payment is completed, they will receive the test appointment confirmation immediately. Then, within the next 1–2 days, they will receive an email from Vericant to complete registration for the video speaking interview and set up an interview appointment.
- At least 48 hours before the TOEFL ITP test date, they will receive their admission ticket (which needs to be printed and taken to the test), along with more detailed test center information. The Vericant interview may be taken before or after the TOEFL ITP test date. Interviews are available in person in major cities and remotely through secure video conferencing.
The bundled cost for both the TOEFL ITP test and the Vericant interview is RMB 995 (US$140). After students have purchased the combined solution once, they have the option to retake just the TOEFL ITP test, by purchasing the TOEFL ITP test only for RMB 495 (US$70), before sending scores to universities.
The TOEFL ITP test is designed to evaluate the ability to comprehend spoken and written English in an academic setting, making it appropriate for decisions related to academic English-language proficiency.
ETS has provided research-backed baseline recommendations for TOEFL ITP Plus total and section score requirements to help you with the process of establishing cut scores.
These recommendations are based on the experience of the TOEFL program working with score users, as well as on studies conducted in recent years to facilitate the interpretation and use of TOEFL ITP scores.
Please note, they are intended only as a starting point. Relevant and useful score requirements are dependent on institution-specific factors, such as the English-language demands of its courses and the amount of language support available on campus. Additionally, institutions should keep in mind the following:
- Experience with TOEFL ITP scores for purposes such as placement in an English-language support program for international students can inform decisions for score requirements for admission.
- High requirements may limit applicant pool, but those admitted are more likely to have the English-language skills to succeed.
- Lower score requirements may increase the applicant pool, but some admitted students may not have the English-language skills to succeed. However, offering opportunities for language support on campus might allow for more lenient score requirements.
- Setting score requirements for the total score as well as for section scores allows for a consideration of the students' language profile, which might not be possible when only total score requirements are set.
- In general, institutions require scores that map onto CEFR level B2 or higher (moderate language demands) or CEFR level C1 or higher (high language demands) when using the CEFR to set score requirements for admissions. Equivalent information for the TOEFL iBT test may be found at Comparing TOEFL iBT Scores to the CEFR.
There are several resources available to facilitate score interpretations.
- Download the current TOEFL ITP Test Taker Handbook for information about the total and section scores.
- TOEFL ITP scores have been mapped onto the CEFR levels through a study by Tannenbaum and Baron (2011) — Mapping TOEFL® ITP scores onto the Common European Framework of Reference.
- Additional score level guidance is provided through the TOEFL ITP Overall Performance Descriptors and the TOEFL ITP Section Score Descriptors created though a separate study (Powers et al., 2017).
For more information, see TOEFL ITP Research.
Students will receive their TOEFL ITP scores and the video of their Vericant speaking interview in their Vericant account 4 business days after completion of both. They will then be able to review their TOEFL ITP scores and interview in the Vericant student portal, but will be unable to edit the interview. Students have the option to retake the test. If they do so, those will be added to the student portal as well.
Note: The Vericant interview will not be scored. However, for institutions interested in self-scoring the interview, view the Vericant Interview Guide.
Students can select the set of test scores and the interview version they want to send to each university. They can choose as many universities as they wish, but can only send one set of scores to a selected institution once. They cannot change the scores that are sent once they're sent.
Vericant maintains a database of over 4,000 institutions around the world to which students can send their scores and interview. If a university is not in the Vericant database, the student can contact Vericant support to have the school added. ETS will also work with Vericant to reduce the chance of a TOEFL score user not being in the Vericant database.
TOEFL ITP scores reported to institutions through the Vericant School Portal are official ETS scores. If you need additional score verification or have questions about a particular score, please email the details of the score report, including the students’ National ID or Passport number, to ETS China at firstname.lastname@example.org. Scores from the TOEFL ITP test are valid for 2 years from the test date.
Receiving Scores from Vericant
Once the student has selected the set of TOEFL ITP scores and the interview to be sent to a selected university, here is how Vericant will make them available to the university:
- If the university already has a Vericant account (email on file), the university user can see the scores and the interview by logging into their Vericant School Portal. The university may also set up an email notification when new scores and interviews are added to the portal.
- If the university has Slate® integration turned on, the scores and the interview will be sent to the university's Slate database, and the university does not need to log in to the Vericant School Portal.
- If the university does not already have a Vericant account (no user email on file) but a student has selected the university as a recipient, Vericant will contact the university admissions office through email and advise them to create a Vericant School Portal account to view the scores and interview.
- Universities, at any time, may also create a Vericant School Portal account in advance.
To check if your university is already listed in the Vericant database, review the Vericant list of institutions. If it is not, we suggest you create a Vericant School Portal account in advance so your university will be added to the database and made available to students.
The User Guide to the Vericant School Portal for Institutions provides further information, including:
- setup and technical instructions, including Slate setup or integration
- tips for navigating the portal
- a sample score report under the Student Profile page
- a sample export file under the Student List page
To learn more about Vericant, visit www.vericant.com.
We know how critical Chinese students are to your international student recruitment and how important it is that you meet your enrollment goals during the months ahead. We have provided this secure, alternative solution to allow you to evaluate the English-language proficiency of Mainland Chinese students. Let students in Mainland China know you welcome TOEFL ITP Plus for China scores by posting it on your website. Information for test takers and applicants is being made available on https://toefl.cn/family-itp.php.
Support for Test Takers
Free Test Preparation
ETS is offering free, comprehensive test preparation materials for the TOEFL ITP test.
- Sample test questions
- TOEFL ITP® Level 1 Practice Tests, Volume 1 eBook and audio files
- Official Guide to the TOEFL ITP® Test eBook and audio files
Information for Test Takers
Information for test takers and applicants about TOEFL ITP Plus for China is available on https://toefl.cn/family-itp.php.
In general, the best resources for students to keep themselves apprised of TOEFL news in Mainland China include: