About the SIR II™ Student Instructional Report
How do you get fair and reliable student feedback to improve teaching and learning at your institution?
The SIR II™ survey is a course evaluation survey that quickly and objectively captures students' perceptions of their higher education learning experience. Based on 30 years of extensive research, the SIR II survey has helped faculty and administrators improve teaching effectiveness and learning quality for more than three decades by providing:
- reliable insight into students' perspectives on eight dimensions of college instruction
- detailed information to improve teaching without taking up valuable class time
- a free compendium of actionable suggestions for improving college teaching, based on best practices and input from educators nationwide
- comparative data from nearly 8 million students in more than 107,000 two-year and more than 117,000 four-year college courses nationwide
The SIR II and e-SIR surveys offer flexibility to meet your specific course evaluation needs:
- Add questions to evaluate a wider range of course and teaching characteristics.
- Choose from paper-and-pencil or online formats to reduce administrative time and costs.
- Select a version specifically designed for students in distance-learning courses.
Who should use the SIR II survey?
Faculty and administrators at two-year and four-year institutions nationwide use the SIR II survey to evaluate teaching effectiveness and learning quality. The comprehensive feedback provided in SIR II reports is especially helpful to faculty who are experimenting with new classroom practices and teaching methods.
How are results used?
Faculty and administrators use SIR II data to:
- assess course and instructional outcomes
- pinpoint teaching strengths and improvement opportunities across disciplines, courses and classes
- inform administrative decisions
- reward teaching excellence
- compare results to peer institutions nationwide
- measure instructor effectiveness for accreditation purposes
It is important that faculty, administrators and students understand how the results of the student evaluations will be used, who will have access to the results and how their use may affect institutional policies. Learn more about interpreting and using SIR II survey results.
For more information about the SIR II survey, call 1-800-745-0269 or contact an ETS Advisor. ETS Advisors are available Monday through Friday from 8–4:30 p.m. ET.
Get practical strategies to turn data into action at your institution