TOEFL iBT® Test Fees
Below are details on our payment policies:
|Registration||Fees vary by country.|
|Reinstatement of canceled scores||US$20|
|Additional score reports (per institution or agency)||US$18 each|
|Speaking or Writing Section rescore||US$80|
|Speaking and Writing Section rescore||US$160|
|Returned personal check (paper or electronic)||US$20|
Fees are subject to change without notice and do not include Value-Added or other taxes.
Please make sure all payments for tests and services:
- are paid in full at the time the service is requested
- have the correct numeric and written dollar amount
- have appropriate signature(s)
Any outstanding balances from prior ETS tests or services must be paid in full before you register. Services or test scores may be withheld for non-payment.
If you do not submit the correct fee, your registration form or request for service will be returned.
Payment methods are subject to change without notice.
Forms of Payment
Credit/debit card — American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard® or VISA®. Note: American Express, Discover, JCB and MasterCard are NOT accepted for the following locations: Benin, Cameroon, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and Togo.
Note: When you select credit/debit card as your payment method, you have the option to pay in select local currencies instead of U.S. dollars. You can change your selection at any time before your click "Submit" to process your payment. The system will display available local currencies and the credit card types supported for each.
- Electronic checks (e-checks) — drawn on a bank in the United States or its territories. E-checks can be used to register online or by phone.
- PayPal account — payment can be made via PayPal®.
- In some areas, you can purchase TOEFL iBT® Test registration vouchers with local currency and/or register in person at TOEFL iBT Resource Centers or Voucher Resellers. Registration vouchers are unique numerical codes that you can use in place of credit cards as payment when you register for the test. If you don't want to register at a TOEFL iBT Resource Center or Voucher Reseller, you can use a registration voucher to register online from any computer or by phone.
- Paper check — the following types of checks are accepted:
- personal paper checks or money orders in U.S. dollars must be drawn on a bank in the United States and made payable to ETS-TOEFL iBT
- Euro checks drawn on a bank in the same European country as the currency
- checks in Canadian dollars drawn on a bank in Canada
Forms of Payment Not Accepted
- cash or demand drafts
- post-dated checks
- receipts for bank checks
- UNESCO coupons
Instructions for Paying by Registration Voucher
- Registration vouchers are unique test registration codes used in place of a credit card as payment for the TOEFL iBT test online or by phone. Registration vouchers are valid for the TOEFL iBT test only.
- Purchase TOEFL iBT registration vouchers with local currency at a TOEFL iBT Resource Center or Voucher Reseller.
- Registration vouchers cannot be redeemed without a voucher number and are not transferable to other individuals.
- Registration vouchers must be used by their expiration date.
- To register online using your registration voucher, follow these steps:
- Go to www.ets.org/toefl/voucher.
- Find your destination of choice in our TOEFL® Destination Directory of over 8,500 institutions around the world.
- Create a TOEFL iBT profile and follow the registration instructions.
- When the "Select Payment Method" screen appears, choose "Voucher" and then enter the TOEFL Registration Voucher number. A registration confirmation will be emailed to you.
- For refund policies on registration vouchers, see Refunds below.
Instructions for Paying by Electronic Check (e-check)
- Please provide the following information from the bottom of your paper check:
- bank account number
- preprinted check number
- bank (or American Banking Association) routing and transit number
- Your bank account may be debited the same day we receive your request.
- You will not receive a canceled check.
- When you pay with an e-check, you authorize ETS to make a one-time deduction from your checking or savings account.
Instructions for Paying by Paper Check
- Checks must include preprinted:
- bank name
- bank address
- check or money order number
- payer's name and address
- typewritten payer name and address in place of signature is not acceptable
- Post-dated checks are not accepted.
- Check dates cannot be more than 90 days old when received by ETS.
- Euro checks must be drawn on a bank in the same country as the person writing the check. For example, a Euro check written by a person living in Germany must be drawn on a bank in Germany.
- A service fee of US$20 will be charged for insufficient funds.
Accepted Currencies (all others will be returned)
- British Pound
- Canadian Dollar
- Japanese Yen
To receive a refund, you need to cancel your registration by the deadline (three days before the test date, not including the day of the test or the day of your request).
Refunds are in U.S. dollars for half of the original test fee paid. The balance is retained to cover expenses for processing your registration and holding a seat for you at the test center.
- Cash refunds are not available.
- Refunds cannot be given if registration procedures were not followed or you failed to present the required identification documents at the test center.
- Refunds for registration vouchers prior to registration are handled by the TOEFL iBT Resource Center or Voucher Reseller where they were purchased. Refunds after registration follow standard ETS policies listed here and in the current TOEFL iBT Registration Bulletin.
- If you paid by credit/debit card or e-check, the refund will be credited back to the original credit/debit card or bank account.
- If payment was made with a personal check drawn on a U.S. domestic bank, please allow eight weeks for processing.
- If payment was made in non-U.S. funds drawn on a bank outside the United States, please allow 12 weeks for processing.
- Refunds for other services are not available.
Fee Reduction Service
The TOEFL Fee Reduction Service is designed for high school seniors in the United States with financial need who are applying to colleges and universities where TOEFL scores are recommended or required.