You may be required to provide a supplemental ID document if:
- the test center administrator questions your primary ID document
- your primary ID document is otherwise acceptable but is missing your full name, photograph or signature
Supplemental ID documents cannot be used to resolve last name discrepancies. The last name on your primary ID must match the name you used when you registered.
Note: If you cannot provide a supplemental ID listed below that includes your signature, you may present 2 government-issued IDs with photographs, as long as they are in the same name you used when you registered.
The following ID documents are generally acceptable as supplemental ID:
- Government-issued ID card (including, but not limited to, those listed under Acceptable Primary ID Documents)
- Student ID card
- Confirmation of identity letter from your educational institution. This letter must be typed or printed on the original letterhead of the educational institution you attend(ed) and, in addition to meeting all of the ID Document Requirements, must include your date of birth and the date issued. Additionally, a school official's signature and the school seal must be present and both must overlap your photograph, as shown below. Such letters are valid for only one year from the date issued.
- Driver’s license renewals
- If you are in the U.S. military and the expiration of your driver’s license has been extended or deferred by the issuing state, it can be used as supplemental ID along with your U.S. military ID card. Depending on the state, the extension or deferral may consist of a sticker on the license, the designation “military” printed in place of an expiration date, or a separate document carried with the license, usually with a notation that the license is valid until a specific amount of time after discharge from service.
- If your driver’s license has expired but you present it along with your Original Department of Public Safety renewal certificate, the 2 documents together can be accepted if the names match exactly. If you have a temporary paper license instead of a renewal certificate, that is acceptable only if it is accompanied by an acceptable supplemental ID.
Ready to take the TOEFL iBT® test?
Prepare for your TOEFL test with official TOEFL iBT prep wherever you go. Download now
Get the only official practice test that gives you the experience of taking the real TOEFL iBT test. Order now
Practice with the only authentic TOEFL test prep guide created by ETS. Also available as an eBook. Purchase now