The TOEFL iBT® Test: Improving Your Speaking Skills
Advice for Speaking
Skill: Speaking about Academic Course Content
Performance Level: Limited
Score Range: 10–17
- Record yourself speaking in English.
- Read a paragraph from an academic course book and practice summarizing the paragraph aloud.
- Practice several times and then record your summary.
- Listen to your summary again a week later. Transcribe what you said and review your mistakes.
- Practice speaking about current events.
- Read newspaper articles, editorials, cultural events, etc. in English. Share the information that you read with a friend in English.
- Visit a university class and take notes in the class. Then use your notes to tell a friend about some of the information you heard in English.
- Develop your academic vocabulary. Write down important new words that you come across while reading or listening and practice pronouncing them.
- Listen to a weather report and take notes on what you heard. Then give the weather report to a friend in English.
- Practice speaking for a limited time on academic topics.
- Write down important words and phrases from a textbook or from a short radio or TV program in English.
- Write three questions about the material you read or heard.
- Try to answer the questions by speaking aloud. Begin speaking with a general statement or idea.
- Support your ideas with details, reasons or examples from the texts. Use appropriate connecting words to make the relationship between ideas clear.
- for example
Ready to take the
TOEFL iBT® test?
Includes 5 actual past TOEFL iBT® tests, with all audio passages on disc. Also includes the TOEFL® Test Prep Planner. Purchase now >
Get the only official practice test that gives you the experience of taking the real TOEFL iBT® test. Order now >
Practice with the only authentic TOEFL® test prep guide created by ETS. Also available as an eBook. Purchase now >