The TOEFL iBT® Test: Improving Your Speaking Skills
Advice for Speaking
Skill: Speaking about Academic Course Content
Performance Level: Weak
Score Range: 0–9
- Take a conversation class. This will improve your fluency and pronunciation in English.
- Record yourself speaking in English.
- Practice reading a short poem aloud. Then record yourself as you read the poem again.
- Read a simple paragraph and record yourself summarizing it.
- Work on your pronunciation.
- Find a pronunciation partner to work with.
- Make a list of three or four new English words each day and practice pronouncing the words correctly.
- Practice using the words by teaching a friend or your pronunciation partner.
- Increase your vocabulary and improve your grammar in your speech.
- Study basic grammar rules so that you speak grammatically correctly.
- As you learn new words and expressions, practice pronouncing them clearly. Record yourself as you practice.
- Take risks. Use new words and expressions every day in your speech.
- Use books that come with an audio recording or go to Internet sites to help you with listening and speaking.
Ready to take the
TOEFL iBT® test?
Includes 5 actual past TOEFL iBT® tests, with all audio passages on disc. Also includes the TOEFL® Test Prep Planner. Purchase now >
Get the only official practice test that gives you the experience of taking the real TOEFL iBT® test. Order now >
Practice with the only authentic TOEFL® test prep guide created by ETS. Also available as an eBook. Purchase now >