The TOEFL iBT® Test: Improving Your Speaking Skills
Advice for Speaking
Skill: Speaking about Campus Situations
Performance Level: Good
Score Range: 26–30
- Look for opportunities to build your fluency in English.
- Take risks and engage others in conversation in English whenever possible.
- Join an Internet chat room.
- Listen to the radio, and watch TV and movies. Pay attention to idiomatic usage of the language and different accents or speech patterns that are used.
- Write down new expressions you hear. Try to use the expressions in your everyday English conversations.
- Choose a character from a film or TV show. Repeat the character's words, following the intonation patterns, as he or she speaks. Include the gestures or other body language of the character you are imitating.
- Practice speaking for a limited time on different topics without a lot of preparation. Time your responses to questions.
- Make a list of questions on topics that interest you (for example, hypothetical situations or academic topics). Answer each of the questions aloud. Try to speak for at least one minute.
- Use books that come with audio recordings to study pronunciation, stress, and intonation in English.
Ready to take the
TOEFL iBT® test?
Includes 5 actual past TOEFL iBT® tests, with all audio passages on disc. Also includes the TOEFL® Test Prep Planner. Purchase now >
Get the only official practice test that gives you the experience of taking the real TOEFL iBT® test. Order now >
Practice with the only authentic TOEFL® test prep guide created by ETS. Also available as an eBook. Purchase now >