Advice for Speaking
Skill: Speaking about Familiar Topics
Performance Level: Good
Score Range: 26–30
- Look for opportunities to speak to native speakers of English. Interaction with others will improve your speaking ability.
- Ask a native speaker to provide feedback on your pronunciation problems (if any).
- Join an Internet voice chat.
- Listen to the radio and watch TV and movies. Pay attention to idiomatic usage of the language and different accents or speech patterns that are used.
- Write down new expressions you hear. Use the expressions in your everyday English conversations.
- Choose a character from a film or TV show. Repeat the character's words, following the intonation patterns, as he or she speaks. Include the gestures or other body language of the character you are imitating.
- Practice speaking for a limited time on different topics without a lot of preparation. Time your responses to questions.
- Make a list of questions on topics that interest you (for example, hypothetical situations or academic topics). Answer each of the questions aloud. Try to speak for at least one minute.
- Use books that come with audio recordings to study pronunciation, stress and intonation in English.
Ready to take the TOEFL iBT® test?
Includes 5 authentic, full-length TOEFL iBT practice tests with previously administered questions for all 4 skills, with an interactive DVD-ROM. Purchase now >
Get the only official practice test that gives you the experience of taking the real TOEFL iBT® test. Order now >
Practice with the only authentic TOEFL® test prep guide created by ETS. Also available as an eBook. Purchase now >