The TOEFL iBT® Test: Improving Your Writing Skills
Advice for Writing
Skill: Writing based on Reading and Listening
Performance Level: Good
Score Range: 24–30
- Practice listening to lectures and conversations in English.
- Record news and informational programs in English from the television or radio, or download talks or lectures from the Internet.
- Listen to these programs and take notes on the important points. Summarize the programs in English.
- Listen to them again to check your notes and summaries for accuracy.
- Practice analyzing reading passages in English.
- Read two articles or chapters on the same topic or issue.
- Write a summary of each, and then explain the ways they are similar and the ways they are different.
- Practice combining listening and reading by searching for readings related to talks and lectures you or a friend or a teacher can find.
- Develop your vocabulary, grammar, reading, listening and writing skills through extensive reading and listening in a variety of increasingly challenging academic areas.
- Write summaries and comparisons of what you have read.
- Get feedback from a teacher or friend on your comprehension, language and writing.
Ready to take the
TOEFL iBT® test?
Includes 5 actual past TOEFL iBT® tests, with all audio passages on disc. Also includes the TOEFL® Test Prep Planner. Purchase now >
Get the only official practice test that gives you the experience of taking the real TOEFL iBT® test. Order now >
Practice with the only authentic TOEFL® test prep guide created by ETS. Also available as an eBook. Purchase now >