Understanding Your TOEFL iBT® Test Scores
TOEFL® Score Scales
|Speaking||0–30 score scale||Good (26–30)
|Writing||0–30 score scale||Good (24–30)
The Reading and Listening sections are scored by computer with a score range from 0 to 30. The Reading section has 36–56 tasks based on reading passages from academic texts and answering questions. The Listening section has 34–51 tasks based on listening to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answering questions.
- Each of six tasks is rated from 0 to 4. The sum is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
- ETS-certified test scorers rate responses and evaluate how well you develop your topic and deliver your message in English.
- Two tasks are rated from 0 to 5. The sum is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
- The writing section is scored by:
- evaluating the integrated writing task for development, organization, grammar, vocabulary, accuracy and completeness
- rating the independent writing essay on overall writing quality, including development, organization, grammar and vocabulary
- Human rating — multiple, rigorously trained raters score tests anonymously. ETS raters are continually monitored to ensure fairness and the highest quality.
- eRater® automated scoring technology is used with human ratings to score the independent and integrated writing tasks. Using both human judgment for content and meaning with automated scoring for linguistic features ensures consistent, quality scores.
Ready to take the
TOEFL iBT® test?
Includes 5 actual past TOEFL iBT® tests, with all audio passages on disc. Also includes the TOEFL® Test Prep Planner. Purchase now >
Get the only official practice test that gives you the experience of taking the real TOEFL iBT® test. Order now >
Practice with the only authentic TOEFL® test prep guide created by ETS. Also available as an eBook. Purchase now >