Understanding Your TOEFL iBT® Test Scores
TOEFL® Score Scales
|Speaking||0–30 score scale||Good (26–30)
|Writing||0–30 score scale||Good (24–30)
The Reading and Listening sections are scored by computer with a score range from 0 to 30. The Reading section has 36–56 tasks based on reading passages from academic texts and answering questions. The Listening section has 34–51 tasks based on listening to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answering questions.
Improve Your Reading Skills with Lexile® Measures
Once you have your TOEFL Reading Section score, you can use it to find out your Lexile® measure which helps you select reading materials for your reading level. ETS and MetaMetrics® offer an easy-to-use, free service that matches your TOEFL® Reading Section score with a Lexile measure. A Lexile measure puts your reading ability and the text difficulty of reading materials on the same scale to help you find appropriate materials.
The Lexile site contains a search utility to help you find books that match your reading level and interests. To get your Lexile measure or learn more, visit www.lexile.com/toefl.
- Each of six tasks is rated from 0 to 4. The sum is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
- ETS-certified test scorers rate responses and evaluate how well you develop your topic and deliver your message in English.
- Two tasks are rated from 0 to 5. The sum is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
- The writing section is scored by:
- evaluating the integrated writing task for development, organization, grammar, vocabulary, accuracy and completeness
- rating the independent writing essay on overall writing quality, including development, organization, grammar and vocabulary
- Human rating — multiple, rigorously trained raters score tests anonymously. ETS raters are continually monitored to ensure fairness and the highest quality.
- eRater® automated scoring technology is used with human ratings to score the independent and integrated writing tasks. Using both human judgment for content and meaning with automated scoring for linguistic features ensures consistent, quality scores.