Using TOEFL® Scores to Study in the U.K. (Updated June 18, 2014)
The U.K. Home Office has provided updated guidance about the use of TOEFL iBT® scores for U.K. student visas.
Tier 4 Student Visas — degree level or higher
TOEFL iBT scores can be used for this purpose if the following conditions are met:
- Your chosen U.K. university accepts the TOEFL iBT test for admission purposes. We suggest you contact the university you wish to apply to directly by phoning or emailing the admissions department.
- You meet the TOEFL iBT score requirement for university entry and your course of study. Please check the university website for TOEFL iBT score requirements as you may find each university has different requirements for the course that you intend to apply for.
- You meet the TOEFL iBT scores at the B2 level set by the Home Office for immigration. TOEFL iBT scores at the B2 level approved by the Home Office are:
- Total: 72
- Reading: 18
- Listening: 17
- Writing: 17
- Speaking: 20
Tier 4 Student Visas — pre-sessional or foundation course, or foundation degree
TOEFL iBT scores can be used for these purposes until September 30, 2014, if the following conditions are met:
- You are being sponsored by a Higher Education Institution.
- The course/degree is one of the following:
- a pre-sessional course as defined in note (ii) to the table in paragraph 245ZW(b) of the Immigration Rules and lasts no longer than three months
- a foundation course awarded at a minimum of level 3 on the revised National Qualifications Framework, or awarded on a directly equivalent basis in the devolved administrations
- a foundation degree as defined in paragraph 6 of the Immigration Rules
- You meet the TOEFL iBT scores at the B1 level set by the Home Office for immigration. TOEFL iBT scores at the B1 level approved by the Home Office are:
- Total: 42
- Reading: 4
- Listening: 9
- Writing: 13
- Speaking: 16
Updated: June 18, 2014