About the TOEFL® Test
The TOEFL iBT® test, administered via the Internet, measures a candidate’s ability to combine listening, reading, speaking and writing skills, making it the most comprehensive English-language proficiency test. With unmatched scoring procedures and security measures, the TOEFL® test is the industry standard in English-language assessment.
- Backed by over four decades of world-renowned research
- Recognized by more than 8,500 individual institutions worldwide — see TOEFL Institutions Search Tool.
- The most widely available academic English-proficiency test in the world, with over 4,500 test centers in more than 165 countries — see test centers and dates.
- A highly reliable measure of English-language proficiency
- Validated by more than 40 years of world-class, scholarly research
- Built to the highest psychometric standards
"It's honestly the most authentic standardized assessment that I have seen to date. Scores will better predict a student's success in university. This is important since universities are interested in real-world skills. TOEFL iBT will essentially cause a pedagogical shift from rote learning to more 'real' learning."
— Davajinii Romyanond, English Teacher, Ruamrudee International School, Thailand
Among admissions officers recently surveyed, and who expressed a preference*, four out of five prefer the TOEFL test.
Learn more >
* Source: Survey of 263 admissions officers at U.S. universities, of which 212 accept both the TOEFL test and the IELTS™ test and 152 state a preference.