ETS Hosts High-Profile English Language Learning Symposium to Celebrate the TOEFL® Test's 30th Anniversary in China
Distinguished Leaders Discuss the Role of English as a Tool for Global Competitiveness
- Becky Powell
- Becky Powell
Beijing, China (December 14, 2011) —
Leading government officials from China and the United States, world-renowned English language learning experts, and business executives are convening today to discuss best practices, trends, and innovative ideas regarding English language learning as a critical tool to promote China's economic growth and global leadership.
The half-day symposium, English Language Learning: A Key Component for China's Global Competiveness, is co-organized by the National Education Examinations Authority of the MOE, and supported by the U.S. Embassy.
"ETS is very proud of the contributions that we have made to help advance the field of English language learning over the last thirty years in China," commented Walt MacDonald, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at ETS. "Today's symposium brings together leaders in various disciplines that play a significant role in the future of English language learning. We look forward to a productive exchange of ideas and discussion of future innovations that will transform the field."
The invitation-only event is taking place at The Beijing Hotel and will feature:
- Madame Zhang Xiuqin, Director General, Ministry of Education
- Jiang Gang, Director General, National Education Examinations Authority
- Walt MacDonald, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, ETS
- Peter Foyston, CEO, Campbell Swire China
- Carola McGiffert, Director, 100,000 Strong Initiative, and Senior Advisor to U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs
- Alice Murray, Director, Regional English Language Programs Office, U.S. Embassy Beijing
- SHEN Yang, Deputy Director General, Ministry of Education
- TANG Xiaofei, TOEFL Brand Director, ETS
- XI Xiaoming, Senior Research Scientist and Director of Global Language Assessments Research, ETS
- WEN Qiufang, Director, National Research Center for Foreign Language Education, Beijing Foreign Studies University
- XU Caide, Professor, Beijing Language and Culture University
- YU Minhong, Founder, Chairman, and Chief Executive Officer, New Oriental Education & Technology Group, Inc.
- ZHAO Han Xi, Executive Director, CITIC Capital Partners
- ZONG Wa, Deputy Secretary General, China Education Association for International Exchanges
- ZHAO Zhongxiu, Vice President, University of International Business and Economics
More information regarding the TOEFL® test, including sample questions, study tips and registration, is available at www.TOEFLGoAnywhere.org/cn.
About the TOEFL Test
The TOEFL test is the most widely accepted English language assessment, recognized by more than 8,000 institutions in more than 130 countries including Australia, the U.K., Canada, and the United States. Globally, the TOEFL test is available at more than 4,500 testing sites in more than 165 countries. To date, more than 25 million students around the world have taken the TOEFL test.
At ETS, we advance quality and equity in education for people worldwide by creating assessments based on rigorous research. ETS serves individuals, educational institutions and government agencies by providing customized solutions for teacher certification, English language learning, and elementary, secondary and post-secondary education, as well as conducting education research, analysis and policy studies. Founded as a nonprofit in 1947, ETS develops, administers and scores more than 50 million tests annually — including the TOEFL® and TOEIC® tests, the GRE® tests and The Praxis Series™ assessments — in more than 180 countries, at over 9,000 locations worldwide. www.ets.org