Register for the TOEFL® PBT Test
There are two formats for the TOEFL® test — the TOEFL iBT® test, administered via the Internet, and the TOEFL® PBT test, administered in a paper-based format. To find out which format is available in your area, check your location before you register.
The TOEFL PBT test is being phased out and is currently offered only in locations where testing via the Internet is not available.
96 percent of TOEFL test takers worldwide take the TOEFL iBT test and access continues to expand. Also, the TOEFL iBT test is desired by universities because it measures all four communication skills — reading, writing, listening and speaking. For these and other reasons, we feel it is time to phase out paper-based testing.
ETS remains committed to providing access for anyone who wants to take the TOEFL test. Please be assured that ETS is making every effort to ensure that individuals living in areas where testing via the Internet is not available will be able to test.
Scores remain valid for two years after your test date.
- Register anytime — 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- View registration deadlines.
- Pay with a credit/debit card: American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard®, or VISA®.
- Receive instant email confirmation.
Note: American Express, Discover, JCB and MasterCard are NOT accepted for the following locations: Benin, Cameroon, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and Togo. Only VISA cards are accepted for those locations.
Payment methods are subject to change without notice.
Note: Test takers who have disabilities or health-related needs that require them to bring equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room, take extra or extended breaks, or require another accommodation must register by mail and need to follow the accommodations request procedures described in the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-Related Needs.
Register By Mail
- Download and fill out the registration form.
- See the list of payment methods on the form; choose one.
- Send the form with payment to ETS at the address on the form before the registration deadline.
- ETS will mail you an admission ticket. If you don't have the ticket 14 days before your test date, contact TOEFL Services.
- See Code Lists for Registering by Mail.
- Required ID for Test Day
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities and Health-related Needs
- Cancel or Change Your Registration