Frequently Asked Questions About the TOEFL® Scholarship Program
- What countries are eligible for a TOEFL® Scholarship?
Mainland China, India, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
- What documents are necessary to apply for a TOEFL scholarship?
- A completed application, including TOEFL® test scores and a 600-word essay
- An original transcript from your current school (a high school/secondary school transcript if applying for undergraduate study and a college/university transcript if applying for graduate study)
- Scholarship winners also must provide, via email, a PDF of the official acceptance letter from the college/university they plan to attend. This college/university must be listed in the TOEFL Destinations Directory.
- Are interviews required?
No, interviews are not required.
- Who evaluates the applications?
ETS will initially evaluate the applications based on TOEFL scores. ETS also will monitor each applicant’s grade point average. The best applications will then be anonymously evaluated by two independent raters from within the higher education sector in each applicant’s location. All raters will be trained by ETS to evaluate scholarship applications.
- What criteria do the raters use to evaluate the applications?
The raters will review your school transcript to determine the level of academic achievement. They also will evaluate your application based on the following criteria:
- ability to communicate in English
- demonstrated leadership skills
- participation in extracurricular activities, especially community service
- innovative ideas as reflected in essays
- At which colleges/universities can the scholarships be used?
Winners can apply the scholarship funds to their tuition fees only at a college/university listed in the TOEFL Destinations Directory. TOEFL scores are accepted at more than 8,500 colleges/universities in 130 countries, including the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States.
- When and how will the TOEFL scholarships be awarded?
ETS will disburse the scholarship funds to winners’ colleges/universities in August 2013. Funds can be applied to academic expenses only and will be disbursed after the student has arrived on campus.
- Can I apply for a scholarship if I have registered for the TOEFL test, but have not yet taken it or am waiting for my scores?
No. You can apply for a scholarship only after you have received your TOEFL scores. ETS recommends you take the TOEFL test by mid-March 2013 to ensure your scores are available well before the April 30, 2013 deadline.
- Can I apply for a scholarship if I am waiting for an acceptance letter from a college/university?
Yes. If you are selected as a winner (notification in May 2013) you must provide via email a PDF of your official acceptance letter by June 7, 2013. The college/university you plan on attending must be listed in the TOEFL Destinations Directory.
- Can I use the scholarship as proof of tuition funding for my student visa?
No. You will need other proof of funding for your student visa in case the immigration authority has any questions about your scholarship funds. ETS is not responsible for a student being denied a visa if winners do not follow this requirement.
- Can I apply for a scholarship if I have yet to decide which college/university I will attend?
Yes. You just need to decide which college/university you will attend and provide a PDF of your official acceptance letter from that college/university by June 7, 2013.
- If I took the TOEFL test last year, can I still use those scores for my scholarship application?
Yes. TOEFL scores are valid for two years, so you can submit TOEFL scores from April 2011 forward with your scholarship application.
- Am I eligible for a TOEFL scholarship if I already have partial funding through other loans and/or scholarships?
Yes, you are still eligible for a TOEFL scholarship.
- Am I eligible for a TOEFL scholarship if I already have a full tuition scholarship?
No. If you are awarded a full tuition scholarship from another source, you must contact ETS to withdraw your application for a TOEFL scholarship.
- Who can I contact if I have additional questions?
If you have additional questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I need to format my telephone number in the application system?
- Below are acceptable telephone formats.
020 1234 1234
0113 123 1234
44 20 1234 1234
44 151 123 1234
44 15396 12345
44 16977 1234
- What do I do if I receive an error in the application system "This form is in use by another user who is also logged?"
- Clear your cache files and then use the direct link to log into the application system.
- If I am a transfer student, am I eligible?
- Transfer students are not eligible. Criteria states that a student must begin an undergraduate or graduate degree.