Test takers can access their official TOEFL iBT® scores in their ETS account, online or via the TOEFL® official app, just 6 days after they take the test. For more information, see Getting Your Scores.
Score delivery time to designated score recipients varies based on how they have chosen to receive TOEFL® scores. For more information, see Sending Your Scores.
How the Test is Scored
Watch this video to learn more about:
- the Speaking and Writing sections of the test
- our approach to rating test taker responses
- the tools we use to rate responses
- how our scoring tools can help students improve their skills
Each section of the test has a score range of 0–30, and each range is broken down into 4 or 5 proficiency levels.
Below Low-Intermediate (0–3)
Below Low-Intermediate (0–8)
Below Basic (0–9)
Below Basic (0–6)
* The Speaking section is included in the TOEFL iBT® test only. The revised TOEFL® Paper-delivered Test includes only the Reading, Listening, and Writing sections. The score ranges and proficiency levels are the same on both tests for these 3 sections. There is no total score issued for the paper test.
- Performance Descriptors for the TOEFL iBT® Test
- Download Performance Descriptors for the TOEFL iBT | File size: 139 kb
- Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Speaking Responses
- Download Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Speaking Responses | File size: 115 kb
- Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Writing Responses
- Download Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Writing Responses | File size: 143 kb
IELTS is a registered trademark of the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations Syndicate.