Frequently Asked Questions about the TOEFL ITP® Assessment Series
- What is the TOEFL ITP® Assessment Series?
The TOEFL ITP Assessment Series offers colleges and universities, English-language programs and other organizations the opportunity to administer a convenient, affordable and reliable English-language assessment. The tests measure English proficiency at high beginning to advanced levels.
The tests use academic content to evaluate non-native speakers' English skills in:
- Listening Comprehension
- Structure and Written Expression
- Reading Comprehension
- How is the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series used by institutions?
There are many ways that you can incorporate the TOEFL ITP assessments into your classroom to keep your students on track for success. Using 100 percent academic content, the TOEFL ITP tests can be used for:
- Placement in intensive English-language programs requiring academic English proficiency at a college or graduate level.
- Progress monitoring in English-language programs stressing academic English proficiency.
- Exiting English-language programs by demonstrating proficiency in English listening and reading.
- Admissions to short-term, non-degree programs in English-speaking countries where the sending and receiving institutions agree to use TOEFL ITP scores.
- Admissions to undergraduate and graduate degree programs in non-English speaking countries where English is not the dominant form of instruction.
- Admissions and placement in collaborative international degree programs where English-language training will be a feature of the program.
- Scholarship programs, as contributing documentation for academic English proficiency.
- Who uses the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series?
Some 2,500 institutions in 50+ countries administer over 800,000 TOEFL ITP tests annually, including:
- Colleges and universities
- Secondary schools
- English-language programs
- What skills does the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series measure?
The TOEFL ITP assessments are composed of three sections. Each section measures a different skill:
- Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities
- Structure and Written Expression measures recognition of selected structural and grammatical points in standard written English
- Reading Comprehension measures the ability to read and understand academic material written in English
- What is the format of the tests?
The TOEFL ITP tests are paper-delivered, multiple-choice tests. Students answer questions by filling out an answer sheet. TOEFL ITP tests are administered on two levels:
- The TOEFL ITP test (intermediate to advanced) consists of three sections: Listening Comprehension, Structure and Written Expression, and Reading Comprehension
- The Pre-TOEFL test (high beginning to intermediate) consists of three similar sections, plus vocabulary is added to the Reading section
- Are test takers allowed to take notes during the test?
Effective December 2015, test takers are allowed to take notes during the test. For more information about this decision and how the policy changes will be implemented, see Test Procedures.
- Are test takers allowed to use scratch paper?
Test takers should use the blank spaces in the test book for note taking. Test takers are not allowed to bring their own scratch paper, nor will the test administrator distribute scratch paper. Answers must be marked on the answer sheets.
- How can test takers prepare for the tests?
Test takers can prepare for the TOEFL ITP tests with real practice tests from ETS. TOEFL ITP Practice Tests, Volume 1 contains the following:
- Two complete TOEFL ITP practice tests
- A CD-ROM of the Listening passages, answer keys, scoring information, study tips and test-taking strategies
The Official Guide to the TOEFL ITP® Test is specifically written to help students prepare for the test and includes:
- A description of all the types of questions on the test
- Practice questions and answers with explanations
- Two full-length practice tests
- Useful strategies for improving academic English skills
- A CD-ROM for the Listening section (MAC compatible)
- How is the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series administered?
The tests are administered by institutions using their own facilities, staff and resources, or by your local ETS TOEFL ITP Associate. Multiple test forms allow you to administer the test throughout the year and as often as you need. Institutions set the test date and size of the group to be tested.
- How are the tests scored?
The tests are scored by ETS or by your local ETS TOEFL ITP Associate. Score reports are usually available within seven days after receipt of the answer sheets. Each section is scored separately to assist you in determining which skills need more work, enabling you to tailor learning activities to meet each student's needs.
Get the information you need about the TOEFL iBT®, TOEFL ITP®, TOEFL Junior® or TOEFL® Primary™ tests.