- What are the TOEFL Junior tests?
The TOEFL Junior® tests are English-language proficiency assessments intended for students ages 11+. They provide an objective and reliable measure of your students' English-language proficiency levels to help you make the best decisions.
The TOEFL Junior tests are available in two testing modes and can be used in multiple ways in the classroom for placement and to monitor progress. Plus, the scores are mapped to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) levels to help you better understand students' proficiency levels. Scores are also matched with Lexile® measures to help you find the right books at the right reading levels to improve English reading proficiency over time.
Learn more about the TOEFL Junior tests.
- How are TOEFL Junior test scores used?
The TOEFL Junior tests have multiple uses in English-language classrooms, including:
- Determining whether students have sufficient communicative English skills to succeed in a classroom that uses English for instruction or need additional English support classes to fully participate in content courses
- Placing students in English-language programs so they are matched with level-appropriate instruction
- Monitoring progress over time to gauge learning and proficiency
- Using "can-do" statements provided on the score report to inform conversations with parents
- Advising students on appropriate book selections based on Lexile® measures to improve their English-reading proficiency
- Mapping student achievement to the CEFR levels for international benchmarking
- Who uses the TOEFL Junior tests?
- English programs around the world trust the TOEFL Junior tests to help them make the best decisions about their students. Score users include:
- English-language programs for placement and to monitor progress
- International schools where the language of instruction is English
- Schools in non-English-speaking countries that focus on teaching content through English
- What skills do the TOEFL Junior tests measure?
The TOEFL Junior tests measure a range of skills:
- The TOEFL Junior Standard test — measures Reading Comprehension, Listening Comprehension, and Language Form and Meaning
- The TOEFL Junior Comprehensive test — measures Reading Comprehension, Listening Comprehension, Speaking and Writing
Learn more about test content.
- What is the test format?
The TOEFL Junior tests are available in two testing modes:
- TOEFL Junior Standard test — a paper-delivered test
- TOEFL Junior Comprehensive test — a computer-delivered test
Learn more about test format.
- How are the TOEFL Junior tests administered?
Depending on your location, the TOEFL Junior tests offer institutional testing, in which an institution administers the test to its own students, and public testing in which dates are open to the public. Contact your local ETS Preferred Network office or the TOEFL Junior Program to learn more.
- How are the TOEFL Junior tests scored?
The TOEFL Junior Standard test is scored locally by ETS Preferred Network offices and features fast turnaround time. For the TOEFL Junior Comprehensive test, the Listening Comprehension and Reading Comprehension sections are multiple-choice questions scored by computer. The Speaking and Writing sections are scored by ETS-trained human raters.
- How long are TOEFL Junior scores valid?
The TOEFL Junior tests measure a test taker's current level of English-language proficiency and are not designed to be a predictor of future TOEFL iBT® scores. Because of the rapid development of English proficiency by test takers within the TOEFL Junior age range, it is recommended that scores not be used beyond two years. However, scores can be considered valid beyond two years if the test taker provides evidence of having maintained the same level of English language learning.
- Can I compare TOEFL Junior Standard scores with TOEFL Junior Comprehensive scores?
No. There are significant content differences between the TOEFL Junior Standard test and the TOEFL Junior Comprehensive test which prevent direct comparison of the overall score levels. For more information, see Scores and Research.
- How do I order the TOEFL Junior tests?
Thank you for your interest in the TOEFL Junior tests.
Get the information you need about the TOEFL iBT, TOEFL ITP, TOEFL Junior or TOEFL® Primary™ tests.