Sample Response 1
This response was scored 3.
- The reading is fairly fluid and intelligible.
- Words are generally grouped into meaningful phrases, but occasionally, punctuation is not marked appropriately, causing listener confusion (the commas are not marked correctly in the list "performance in the theater, a concert, or a sports event").
- Intonation is flat at times, and therefore does not always accurately convey the meaning of the text.
- Speech is clear overall with only some mispronunciations ("changed" is pronounced with two syllables, "chan-ged" and "sports event" is not intelligible). However, these do not affect overall intelligibility.
Sample Response 2
This response was scored 4.
- The reading is mostly fluid and intelligible, and words are grouped in meaningful phrases with effective pauses.
- While the intonation does not always match the text, this does not prevent listener understanding of the text.
- While the speaker's L1 accent is noticeable, speech is still clear and distinct.
- The rate of speech is appropriate.