The TOEIC® test is used by a variety of organizations and educational institutions.
Small businesses, multinational corporations and government agencies alike use test scores as a management tool to make personnel decisions that include:
- Recruiting, promoting and deploying employees
- Job training
- Overseas assignments
- Language training
Test scores show whether employees have the necessary English-language skills to:
- Carry out specific job responsibilities
- Participate in and benefit from training that's conducted in English
- Work and interact successfully if posted to an English-speaking country
- Advance within the organization — or need further English-language training
Institutions of Higher Education
Many universities and institutions of higher education — particularly engineering and business schools — require students to take the TOEIC test prior to graduation. Test scores demonstrate whether:
- Specific levels of English proficiency are met as a part of students' overall education
- Students have sufficient English-language ability to participate effectively in the workforce once they graduate
They also give students a credential of their English proficiency that can be used when applying for work.
English Training Programs
Language schools may offer the TOEIC test as an external and objective means to test language skills of individuals as they prepare to enter the workforce. Test scores are used for:
- Placing incoming and continuing students into appropriate class levels
- Demonstrating student progress — when the test is taken multiple times, improvement can be seen in rising scores
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the school's program and the impact of student workforce readiness — if the test is given at the beginning and end of the training course, the increase in test scores can show how much the program improved students' language skills
Additional information regarding score use may be found in the TOEIC User Guide.
A student fulfills her dream of volunteering at the Beijing Olympics (Flash).
Get the tools you need to succeed.
Learn more >