Frequently Asked Questions About the TOEIC Bridge™ Test
- What is the TOEIC Bridge™ test?
It is a paper-and-pencil, multiple-choice test that measures basic listening and reading English-language skills used in an everyday context by beginning and mid-level learners. Educators and employers use the test to assess English-language skill levels for academic or workplace purposes.
Developed by Educational Testing Service (ETS), the TOEIC Bridge test is based on more than 40 years of English-language assessment experience worldwide.
- Who uses it?
- language schools
- manufacturing companies
- small businesses
- government agencies
- Why do they use it?
- Schools and employers use the test to guide placement decisions.
- Educators use the test to monitor students’ progress and show them how to improve their English-language skills.
- Schools use the test to evaluate their English-language programs.
- Test takers use the test to demonstrate their English-language proficiency.
- Students use the test to set their own learning goals.
- Who takes the test?
- beginning and mid-level learners of English
- individuals taking introductory or basic commercial English-language courses
- people who use everyday English-language skills for school or work
- entry-level and junior employees who want to measure their English-language skills
- Why take the test?
The test is a widely accepted assessment of English-language proficiency of early to mid-level learners. It enables test takers to:
- show instructors or employers they are prepared for success at the next academic or workplace level
- be placed at appropriate levels within a program
- establish personal language-learning goals and monitor their progress
- learn which areas they need improvement in
- Where can I take the test?
Schools, corporations and other organizations usually arrange TOEIC Bridge testing for their students or employees. If testing has not been arranged by your organization, please contact your local ETS Preferred Network office to find out where you can take the test.
- When can I take the test?
If the test is not given by your school or organization, please contact your local ETS Preferred Network office to find out the dates and locations for taking the test.
- How much does the test cost?
TOEIC Bridge test prices vary in different parts of the world. To find out about prices in your area, contact your local ETS Preferred Network office.
- What are the contexts of the test questions?
These are some examples of the settings and situations you may find in TOEIC Bridge test items:
- Activities — hobbies, sports, daily routines, free-time activities
- Dining out — lunches, dinners, restaurants, reservations
- Entertainment — cinema, theater, music, art exhibitions, museums, sports, games
- Family and friends — family members, activities with friends, invitations, pets
- General business — sales, conferences, training, bills, banking, appointments, advertising
- General ideas — feelings, likes and dislikes, small talk, general courtesy
- Health — doctors, dentists, clinics, hospitals, general health and health care
- Housing — apartments, houses, farms, buying and renting, repairs
- Offices — letters, memos, telephones, fax and email messages, office equipment and furniture, office procedures
- News — weather forecasts, news programs, newspapers
- School — classes, classrooms, subjects, teachers, students, books, homework
- Shopping — groceries, clothes, purchases
- Travel — directions, trains, airplanes, taxis, buses, ships, ferries, tickets, schedules, station and airport announcements, car rentals, hotels, reservations