What We Do
As the world's largest private educational testing and measurement organization, ETS is known for assessments built on rigorous research and an uncompromising commitment to quality. Each year, we develop, administer and score more than 50 million tests — including the TOEFL®, TOEIC®, GRE® and Praxis® tests — in more than 180 countries at more than 9,000 locations.
But we are so much more than the tests we deliver.
With our mission to advance quality and equity in education, we deliver groundbreaking research and learning solutions to help students, educators, schools, businesses, governments and more understand what's possible and identify the steps to get there.
Expanding Opportunities for Individual Learners
We strive to increase equity for learners of all levels and backgrounds in the following ways:
Research and Innovation
Our experts are passionate about improving learning. They strive to better understand how people learn in order to explore new, more inclusive approaches to learning, measurement and instruction. These are activated through emerging technologies and collaborations with other pioneers in the field to keep pace with learners' modern needs.
Assessments and Learning Tools
Our assessments and research tools provide meaningful information that help schools, governments and businesses evaluate people and programs. This information is key in making decisions that move individuals forward on their educational and professional journeys — whether they are a college student taking the GRE® test for graduate school or an international student whose TOEFL® test scores can demonstrate they have the English-language proficiency to take the next step in their schooling.
Social responsibility is one of our core values. Through advocacy, philanthropy and the dedicated work of employee volunteers, we support organizations and communities to create opportunities for learners to thrive.
Improving Teaching and Learning
A good teacher can make all the difference in a child's educational journey. This is why we provide professional development products and services that advance quality teaching and school leadership.
At the base of our efforts are our well-known teacher licensure programs, including the Praxis tests and the School Leadership Series. These products:
- aid school administrators in their hiring decisions
- help aspiring teachers understand their readiness to enter the workforce
For practicing educators, we provide transparency into student performance and learning tools to help bridge gaps.
- Innovative ETS tools support the development of students' critical skills, including writing.
- Our expanding English Language Learning portfolio offers tools that encourage active learning and assess ongoing progress.
Informing Education Policy and Assessment
- access to education
- teacher quality
We put these research findings into action by creating awareness and informing policy and program decisions that improve education systems to create a better environment for learning for everyone.
Advancing Education Through Strategic Business Growth
ETS Strategic Capital, a division of ETS, was launched to pursue equity investments, strategic growth partnerships and mergers/acquisitions with innovative companies around the world to advance quality and equity in education for learners everywhere.
- ETS has been certified to the ISO 9001:2015 standard by DEKRA Certification, Inc. as a multi-site (Princeton/Ewing, N.J.; San Antonio/Austin, Texas; Concord/Sacramento, Calif.) with the scope: The Design and Delivery of Fair and Valid Educational Assessments and Related Products. This recognizes ETS as having a robust Quality Management System.
- ETS has been certified to the ISO 27001:2013 standard by National Quality Assurance (NQA) for its Information Security Management Systems (ISMS). The ISMS in scope are the key processes and systems that support the delivery of digital assessments (internet connected devices).
- ETS has been certified by National Quality Assurance (NQA) for its Business Continuity Management System (BCMS). The BCMS safeguards ETS's critical operations and systems as well as the integrity of information entrusted to the organization.