Researchers, Statisticians and Psychometricians
Researchers Advance Learning Worldwide
ETS sets the world standard for educational measurement research and analysis, innovative product development, and original policy studies to support and advance learning worldwide.
ETS employs some 250 researchers, including some of the world's most distinguished scientists in the fields of psychometrics and statistics. These professionals:
- engage in research and analysis to support existing assessments
- generate ideas for future assessment products and services
- contribute to the fields of educational measurement and policy research
To effectively respond to our clients' changing needs and to better meet the needs of the education community at large, ETS researchers partner with others around the world to maintain a fresh, innovative and disciplined approach to understanding, supporting and advancing teaching and learning.
Statisticians and Psychometricians Ensure Tests Are Valid and Fair
Our standards for test performance are the most rigorous in the field. ETS statisticians and psychometricians work to ensure that all ETS exams meet our standards for reliablility, validity and fairness. A test is:
- Reliable if it produces consistent scores among different testing conditions or versions used
- Valid if it can be demonstrated to measure the traits, knowledge or skills it is intended to measure
- Fair if no group of students is either advantaged or disadvantaged due to factors such as the language or content of the questions
Visit the Research section of our website for more information about ETS's research, activities and capabilities.
ETS has assisted the NAEP program in introducing numerous psychometric and assessment design innovations over the years.