A growing number of organizations have used the frameworks, assessments or professional development produced by the CBAL® Initiative. Below are some examples.
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium: CBAL ELA and mathematics formative assessment and professional development materials can be found in the Consortium's Digital Library. All teachers in Smarter Balanced states that have contracted for use of the library have access to these CBAL materials.
- GlassLab: The nonprofit educational game-maker used a CBAL learning progression as the basis for its ELA game, Mars Generation One: Argubot Academy EDU. GlassLab also used CBAL assessment tasks as part of the evaluation of the game's effectiveness.
- World Bank: The World Bank contracted for the translation of CBAL ELA and mathematics formative assessments into Russian and for the training of Kyrgyz educators in how to use those assessments in their classrooms to facilitate teaching and learning.
- IMPAQ International: This research and consulting organization used CBAL ELA assessments to evaluate the effectiveness of a reading intervention program.
- Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB): SEAB, the government assessment agency for one of the most effective education systems in the world, contracted for professional development in CBAL test creation principles and practices for selected members of its staff.
Learn about the CBAL Language Arts learning progressions and their relationship to the Common Core State Standards (Flash, 4:49).
Get an overview of the CBAL research program, including how the CBAL assessment prototypes are being used in the classroom (Flash, 8:02).