What Is the ELM?
The ELM is a one-time assessment that helps CSU determine what mathematics courses you should take upon enrollment.
The test consists of 50 questions that you have 90 minutes to answer. The topics covered include numbers and data, algebra and geometry.
You May Be Exempt
You do not have to take the ELM if you present proof of one of the following:
- A score of 550 or above on the mathematics section of the College Board® SAT® Reasoning Test
- A score of 550 or above on a College Board SAT Subject Test in Mathematics (level 1 or level 2)
- A score of 23 or above on the American College Testing (ACT®) Mathematics Test
- A score of 3 or above on the College Board Advanced Placement® (AP®) Calculus AB or Calculus BC
- A score of 3 or above on the College Board Advanced Placement Statistics examination
- Completion and transfer to CSU of a college course that satisfies the requirement in Quantitative Reasoning, provided such a course was completed with a grade of C or better
- A result of "Standard Exceeded: Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level coursework in mathematics" on the CAASPP Early Assessment Program (EAP) exam
- The following Conditionally Exempt statuses require students to continue their preparation in the 12th grade by taking an approved math course and earn a grade of "C" or better. Students that do not meet the conditional requirement will need to participate in the CSU’s Early Start Program, unless they meet other Early Start Program exemptions.
- Early Start Program exemptions include the following test scores/results:
- 490–540 on the mathematics portion of the SAT Reasoning Test
- 20–22 on the mathematics portion of the ACT exam
- A result of "Standard Met: Conditionally Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level coursework in mathematics" on the CAASPP Early Assessment Program (EAP) exam
How Much Does It Cost?
The fee for taking the ELM is $18. Payment is required at the time of registration and must be paid by credit card, e-check or PayPal®. If you cannot pay by credit card, e-check or PayPal, please contact ETS at EPT-ELMRequest@ets.org or 1-925-808-2142. Fees are nonrefundable during the two weeks prior to the test date. All fees are subject to change.
For more details about the ELM and additional sample questions, download Focus on Mathematics or visit www.csumathsuccess.org.