What Is the EPT?
The EPT is a one-time assessment that helps CSU determine what reading and writing courses you should take upon enrollment.
The EPT requires one hour and 45 minutes to administer. The test is broken down into one 45-minute essay section and two 30-minute multiple choice sections that will test your reading and comprehension skills.
Sample questions from each section
You May Be Exempt
You do not have to take the EPT if you present proof of one of the following:
- A score of "Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level English courses" or "Exempt" on the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) taken along with the English Language Arts California Standards Test (CST) in grade 11
- A score of "Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level English courses – Conditional" or "Conditional" on the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) taken in grade 11, provided successful completion of the Expository Reading and Writing course (ERWC), AP English, IB English, or an English course approved for extra honors weight on the University of California "a-g" Doorways course list
- A score of 500 or above on the critical reading section of the College Board SAT Reasoning Test
- A score of 22 or above on the ACT English Test
- A score of 3 or above on either the Language and Composition or Composition and Literature examination of the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Program
- Completion and transfer to CSU of the credits for a college course that satisfies the CSU General Education requirement in English Composition, provided such a course was completed with a grade of C or better
How Much Does It Cost?
The fee for taking the EPT is $18. Payment is required at the time of registration and must be paid by credit card, e-check or PayPal®. If you cannot pay by credit card, e-check or PayPal, please contact ETS at EPT-ELMRequest@ets.org or 1-925-808-2142. Fees are nonrefundable during the two weeks prior to the test date.
Students are expected to take the EPT only once. Individual campuses may permit re-taking for specific and documentable reasons.
For more details about the EPT, download Focus on English or visit www.csuenglishsuccess.org.