The EPT is a one-time assessment that helps CSU determine what reading and writing courses you should take upon enrollment.
The EPT requires one hour and 45 minutes to administer. The test is broken down into one 45-minute essay section and two 30-minute multiple-choice sections that will test your reading and comprehension skills.
Sample questions from each section
You May Be Exempt
You do not have to take the EPT if you present proof of one of the following:
- A score of 500 or above on the critical reading section of the College Board® SAT® Reasoning Test
- A score of 22 or above on the American College Testing (ACT®) English Test
- A score of 3 or above on either the Language and Composition or Composition and Literature examination of the College Board Scholastic Advanced Placement® (AP®)
- Completion and transfer to CSU of the credits for a college course that satisfies the CSU General Education requirement in English Composition, provided such course was completed with a grade of C or better
- A result of "Standard Exceeded: Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level coursework in English" on the CAASPP Early Assessment Program (EAP) exam.
- The following Conditionally Exempt statuses require students to continue preparation in the 12th grade by taking an approved English course and earn a grade of "C" or better. Students that do not meet the conditional requirement will need to participate in the CSU’s Early Start Program, unless exemption was met through another pathway.
- Other pathways for exemptions include the following test scores/results:
- 460–490 on the Critical Reading portion of the SAT Reasoning Test
- 19–21 on the English portion of the ACT exam
- A result of "Standard Met: Conditionally Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level coursework in English" on the CAASPP Early Assessment Program (EAP) exam
How Much Does It Cost?
The fee for taking the EPT is $18. Payment is required at the time of registration and must be paid by credit card, e-check or PayPal®. If you cannot pay by credit card, e-check or PayPal, please contact ETS at EPT-ELMRequest@ets.org or 1-925-808-2142. Fees are nonrefundable during the two weeks prior to the test date.
Students are expected to take the EPT only once. Individual campuses may permit re-taking for specific and documentable reasons.
For more details about the EPT, download Focus on English or visit www.csuenglishsuccess.org.