CTAS Qualification Criteria
To administer ETS tests via the Internet, a testing center must become an ETS Certified Test Administration Site (CTAS) by registering for training and ETS authorization.
CTAS Facility Requirements
A. General Facility Requirements
- Fifteen Internet-connected computers and cache proxy that are no more than three years old and meet current specifications
- the ability to dedicate resources to testing
- the ability to restrict other activities in the room during an estimated six-hour test period
B. Computer Requirements
- Administrative Station: Required for image capture, candidate check-in and other administrative tasks.
- Cache Proxy (or IAS Local Server): Required for storing test delivery information and temporary storage of candidate results.
- Testing Stations: Required for delivering tests (one testing station per candidate).
C. iBT Supported Operating Systems
|Operating Systems||*Vista® with SP2 32 and 64-bit||Windows® 7 with SP1 32 and 64-bit||Windows 8 32 and 64-bit|
|Browser||IE v7, v8, v9||IE v8, v9||IE v10|
*Windows XP and Vista — Support will be terminated as of April 30, 2014.
- The operating system should reside on and boot from the computer’s local hard disk. Virtual machines and thin clients are not supported.
- Macintosh® or iMac® are not supported or approved for use with test delivery on the iBT platform.
- Microsoft® Server Operating System or Linux® are not supported.
D. Local Area Network and Internet Connectivity
Cache Proxy, Administrative and Testing Station computers should reside on a Local Area Network (LAN) in the same subnet to allow communication between machines without blocking of any port. In addition, the computers should be connected to the Internet via a broadband Internet connection such as DSL or better.
We strongly recommend using a separate device for LAN (switch) and Internet connectivity (router) instead of using an integrated device.
E. Specifications for Administrative and Testing Stations
- Minimum Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.66GHz or equivalent
- Minimum Installed Memory: 2 GB
- Minimum Free Memory: 1 GB
- Free Disk Space: 1 GB
- Display Adapter: 1024x768 resolution, with 32-bit color depth/65,536 colors
- Display Monitor: Widescreen monitors (aspect ratio other than 4:3) are not supported
- Display Monitor Screen Size:
- CRT: 17-inch screen or higher
- LCD: 15-inch screen or higher
- Sound Card: 44.1 KHz (or better) sample rate
Note: Logitech® C270, C210, C170 and Microsoft VX800 webcams are approved for image capture at the Administrative Station. KOSS® SB45 headsets are approved for audio recording/playback on the Testing Stations.
F. Specifications for Cache Proxy (or IAS Local Server) Computers
Up to 40 concurrent test takers:
- Minimum Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
- Minimum Installed Memory: 4 GB
- Minimum Free Memory: 2 GB
- Minimum Free Disk Space: 4 GB
G. Test Center Configuration Tips
The test center technicians must review the technical configuration tips.
This will help them in configuring the test center network and desktop environment for iBT test delivery.
CTAS Facility Administrator
- verifying test registrations
- seating students at individual computers
- ensuring ETS testing software is working properly on each PC
The test center receives compensation that is based on the number of computer workstations provided for each testing session.
How to Begin the CTAS Certification Process
To become an ETS Certified Test Administration Site, please fill out an application.