The following provides an overview of how to request accommodations. For a complete explanation of the accommodations request and registration process, see the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs for the appropriate program.
Time Frame for Accommodations Requests
Your request for accommodations should be submitted as early as possible, especially if you are requesting an alternate test format. Documentation review takes approximately six weeks once your complete paperwork has been received. If additional documentation must be submitted, it can be another six weeks from the time the new documentation is received until the review is complete.
ETS is committed to producing alternate test formats as quickly as possible; however, production times may vary. Check your testing program's Information or Registration Bulletin or website for test dates so you can plan accordingly.
Step 1: See a list of some common testing accommodations
Look at the list of commonly requested testing accommodations to determine which accommodations you will need. If an accommodation you need is not listed, you may enter it under "Other" on page 16 of the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs for the test you are taking.
Step 2: Review the Information or Registration Bulletin
Review the Information or Registration Bulletin for the test you are planning to take to see program policies, tests offered, test dates, fees and payment policies, identification requirements and other important information.
Step 3: Check your testing format
Check your testing program's website to get information about which format of the test is offered in your area so you can determine what format you will be taking: paper-delivered or computer-delivered.
- GACE® website
- GRE® website
- HiSET® website
- ParaPro Assessment website
- Praxis® website
- School Leadership Series website
- Texas Educator Certification Program website
- TOEFL® website
Step 4: Complete the Registration Form
Complete the appropriate Registration Form in your program's Bulletin.
Step 5: Complete the Testing Accommodations Request Form
Complete the Testing Accommodations Request Form in the appropriate Bulletin Supplement.
Step 6: Obtain disability documentation
Obtain disability documentation from your evaluator or doctor, if needed.
Step 7: Submitting your request to ETS
Requests for testing accommodations may be submitted via mail or email. Be sure to include all documents listed below. An incomplete application will cause a delay in processing your request.
Instructions for Submitting Requests Via Mail
Include the following documents:
- the appropriate registration form from the Bulletin and/or program website for the test that you will be taking (see "Step 4: Complete the Registration Form")
- Testing Accommodations Request Form (see "Step 5: Complete the Testing Accommodations Request Form")
- disability documentation, including Parts 1, 2 and 3 of the "Guidelines for Documentation of Blindness and Low Vision in Adolescents and Adults," if applicable (see "Step 6: Obtain Disability Documentation")
- the appropriate test fee
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PAYMENT: If you prefer to submit your payment online, do not include credit card information on your registration form. Once your application has been received, you will be sent an email with instructions regarding payment options.
Send all completed forms and documentation to:
- ETS Disability Services
P.O. Box 6054
Princeton, NJ 08541-6054 USA
- Courier Service:
- ETS Disability Services
225 Phillips Boulevard
Ewing, NJ 08618-1426 USA
Instructions for Submitting Requests Via Email
Important Note: If you email your documents, do not include credit card information on your registration form. Once your application has been received, you will be sent an email with instructions regarding payment.
Requests for testing accommodations should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do not submit requests to the Customer Service email (email@example.com). Requests submitted to that email address will not be processed.
To submit your request via email, follow these steps:
- Download and print the appropriate registration form for your program
- Download the Bulletin Supplement and print the Testing Accommodations Request Form (pages 14–21)
- Complete all documents
- Scan the registration form, the testing accommodations request form, and disability documentation (if required)
- Attach all documents to email
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs — for the GRE, TOEFL, Praxis and School Leadership Series tests
- GACE Bulletin Supplement
- Texas Educator Certification Program Bulletin Supplement