February 14, 2020
ETS has been communicating with Chinese test takers since testing has been postponed. I wanted you to know this week, ETS has begun informing students that they can now take advantage of additional free TOEFL iBT® and GRE® test preparation resources while testing is postponed. I encourage you to pass it along to any applicants you know to be impacted.
- New — Students whose testing was postponed have already received an authorization code for a free TOEFL® Practice Online test. It is the only official, full-length simulation of the TOEFL iBT test that enables students to familiarize themselves with the content and test flow they will encounter on test day. Students can answer questions on all 4 TOEFL test sections — Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing — and are provided with performance feedback within 24 hours. Students can find the code and related instructions in their NEEA TOEFL iBT accounts.
- Other free TOEFL practice resources include:
- TOEFL® Test Preparation: The Insider's Guide, a 6-week online course with videos, quizzes and tips from expert instructors
- TOEFL iBT® Free Practice Test , which provides unlimited access to a full-length test with real past questions
- TOEFL iBT® Test Prep Planner, an 8-week schedule to help test takers set practice goals and build the English skills needed for success on test day
- New — Impacted students can receive a code to access ScoreItNow!™ Online Writing Practice Service, a web-based service that helps students sharpen their writing skills as they prepare for the Analytical Writing measure of the GRE® General Test. Through the service, students can write and submit responses to 2 essay topics and get immediate scores and feedback. The service also provides 6 free Analytical Writing topics for additional practice. The access code is being distributed to students in China through Official GRE General Test communities on Chinese social media sites Weibo and WeChat.
- Other free GRE practice resources include:
- POWERPREP® Online, which offers 2 free practice tests and provides students with a simulation of the actual test — including timed and untimed options — allowing students to familiarize themselves with the design features they will encounter on test day.
- Math Conventions and Math Review, which are free, downloadable documents that provide detailed information about the content of the Quantitative Reasoning measure. Khan Academy® instructional videos provide additional information about the math concepts covered in the Review document.
While offering support to students whose mobility is limited, ETS is working with our on-the-ground partners to ensure that test seats will be available once the government gives the go-ahead to proceed. We will communicate the additional test dates as soon as they are available through the official TOEFL and GRE communities on Weibo and WeChat.
Should you have thoughts regarding assistance that ETS can provide to you directly as we manage through this situation, please share those with me using the contact information below.
Thank you for your continued partnership, and we'll keep you updated on further developments.
TOEFL & GRE Global Client Relations, ETS
Princeton, NJ USA