The overall testing time for the paper-delivered GRE® General Test is about three hours and 30 minutes. There are six sections with a 10-minute break following the second section.
Structure of the Paper-delivered Test
|Measure||Number of Questions||Allotted Time|
|Section 1: "Analyze an Issue" task
Section 2: "Analyze an Argument" task
|30 minutes per section|
|25 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
|25 questions per section||40 minutes per section|
The Analytical Writing sections will always be first, while the other four sections may appear in any order.
Test Design Features
- Answers are entered into the test book, rather than a separate answer sheet.
- You will be provided an ETS calculator to use during the Quantitative Reasoning section; you may not use your own calculator.
To familiarize yourself with the paper-delivered test, try the full-length practice test in the free Practice Book for the Paper-delivered GRE® General Test, Second Edition.
- Test Preparation Materials
- List of Paper-delivered Test Centers and Dates
- Test Centers, Test Dates and Seat Availability
Register for the GRE General Test
Get never-before-offered official GRE practice tests, scores within minutes for all three measures and explanations for correct answers!
Show schools only the scores you want them to see — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Check out our FREE Official test prep and shop our Official Practice Question Guides and more.