At ETS we believe that the cost of taking a GRE® test should not be a barrier to graduate study. ETS provides the Fee Reduction Program for individuals who demonstrate financial need and for national programs that work with underrepresented groups. A Fee Reduction Voucher may be used for one GRE® General Test and/or one Subject Test. Voucher users pay 50 percent of the regular test fee. Fee Reduction Vouchers cannot be combined with other offers.
For Those with Financial Need
ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers on a first-come, first-served basis to college seniors and unenrolled college graduates who meet the following eligibility requirements.
College seniors must be:
- receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the United States, U.S. Territories or Puerto Rico, and
- a dependent, who has a FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $2,500 for the senior year, or
- self-supporting and have a SAR that shows a contribution of not more than $3,000 for the senior year
Unenrolled college graduates must:
- have applied for financial aid, and
- have a SAR that shows a self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $3,000
To apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Voucher, complete the GRE Fee Reduction Request form and follow the instructions on the form regarding the submission of materials to ETS. Allow up to three weeks for processing and mail delivery.
For Those who are Unemployed
ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers to individuals who can confirm that they are unemployed and receiving unemployment compensation. Qualified individuals can register to take the computer-delivered GRE General Test for half the cost of the regular test fee.
To learn more about eligibility requirements, instructions for participation and program policies, download the Fee Reduction Request for the Unemployed.
For National Programs in the United States
GRE Fee Reduction Certificates/Vouchers are also made available to the following programs:
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science Program (GEM)
- Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research (U-STAR) Program
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) Program
- TRIO Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
- TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) Program
Register for the GRE General Test
Get never-before-offered official GRE practice tests, scores within minutes for all three measures and explanations for correct answers!
Show schools only the scores you want them to see — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Check out our FREE Official test prep and shop our Official Practice Question Guides and more.