Already familiar with the registration process? Get started!
The GRE® General Test is available at more than 1,000 test centers in more than 160 countries. It is offered as a computer-delivered test year-round at most locations around the world.
In areas of the world where the General Test is not available on computer at physical test centers, the GRE General Test at home option may be offered. Learn more about the at home test and how to register.
Review the following information carefully. There are a number of policies you should familiarize yourself with before registering.
Before you begin the registration process, it's important to review fees, make sure you pick the right test date and understand the policies and procedures. See the Registration Checklist.
Your ETS Account
In order to register for the test, view your scores, and access other services, you'll need an ETS account. Prior to creating your account, be sure to review important information about The Name You Use When Registering, including what to do if you have a name change.
You are responsible for bringing valid and acceptable identification on test day, and it must bear the first and last name you used when you created your account and registered for your test. See ID Requirements.
Test Centers and Dates
View test centers and dates for the GRE General Test. You can also view seat availability, though you won't be able to register without signing into your ETS account. See Test Centers and Dates.
Register for the GRE General Test
The General Test is offered year round, and you can register online or by phone. How you register may vary depending on where you will test. Register for the General Test.
ETS is committed to serving test takers with disabilities and health-related needs. Download the necessary bulletins and forms and learn more about available accommodations and registration procedures in Disability Accommodations.
Reschedule or Cancel Your Registration
You can reschedule or cancel your registration at any time. To avoid forfeiting your entire test fee, you must do so no later than four days before your test date (10 days in Mainland China). The process, fees and refunds vary depending on the test you're taking. Learn more about Rescheduling or Canceling Your Registration.
Score Reports and Services Available with Registration
- The ScoreSelect® option allows you to send scores from your Most Recent test administration or from All the times you have taken the GRE General Test in the last five years.
- Help potential schools find you! Sign up for GRE® Search Service when you register for your test, or at any time through your ETS account.
Retaking the GRE General Test
- You can take the GRE General Test once every 21 days, up to five times within any continuous rolling 12-month period (365 days). This applies even if you canceled your scores on a test taken previously.
- The retaking a test policy will be enforced even if a violation is not immediately identified (e.g., inconsistent registration information). If the violation is identified after registration but before the test administration, the testing appointment will be canceled and test fees will be forfeited. If the violation is identified after test scores have been reported, the invalid scores will be canceled, score recipients will be notified of the cancellation and test fees will be forfeited.
- Payment and Refund Policies
- Sending Additional Score Reports
- Register for a Subject Test
- Student fair schedule
- GRE Webinars — hosted in multiple languages and time zones!
The official practice tests from the maker of the test gives you the experience of taking the real, computer-delivered GRE General Test and more!
Approach test day with more confidence, knowing you can send the scores that show your personal best — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Check out our FREE Official test prep and shop our Official Practice Question Guides and more.