- I received an email saying that my request to access score data in the ETS Institution Portal was approved, but I'm having trouble signing in. What should I do?
When your access is approved, you will receive three emails from firstname.lastname@example.org:
- an email indicating which testing programs and services you have been approved for
- an email containing your assigned username with a link to the ETS Institution Portal sign-in page
- an email containing a temporary password with a link to the ETS Institution Portal sign-in page
The first time you sign in with your username and temporary password, you will be prompted to enter your temporary password, then create and confirm a new password. In addition, you must select a security question and provide an answer to verify your identity if you forget your password in the future.
If you did not receive these emails, check your Junk Email or Spam folder. Also be sure to add "@ets.org" to your address book or safe sender list to make sure you receive important confirmation emails from ETS.
- I have forgotten my login information. What should I do?
Note: If you no longer have access to the email address associated with your account, contact ETS Code Control at 1-855-242-6478. You will not be able to recover your username or reset your password online.
If you forget your username, select the "Forgot Username" link on the ETS Institution Portal Sign In page. Enter the email address associated with your account when prompted. Your username will be emailed to that address.
If you forget your password, select the "Forgot Password" link on the ETS Institution Portal Sign In page. When prompted, enter your username and the email address associated with your account, answer your security question, and then create a new password. After that, you can sign back in using your new password.
If you still have difficulty, a Lead Administrator at your institution can generate a new temporary password for you. It will be automatically emailed to the email address associated with your account.
- I used the "Forgot Password" link, but got a message saying I need to answer my security question. I have not yet selected my security question. What should I do?
When you signed in to the ETS Institution Portal for the first time using your assigned username and temporary password, you should have been prompted to change your password, as well as select and answer a security question. If you did not do this, you will not be able to reset your password through the "Forgot Password" link. Try to find your original emails from email@example.com containing your username and temporary password, then sign in with that information. If you still have difficulty, or if you cannot find your original emails, contact ETS Code Control at 1-855-242-6478.
- How do I designate a Lead Administrator?
If your institution does not yet have a Lead Administrator, the Graduate Dean, Business Dean and/or Undergraduate Admissions Director should designate one or more Lead Administrators to be responsible for managing GRE® and TOEFL® data access privileges at your institution. Once these individuals have been designated, they should be directed to complete the online form to begin the authentication process and obtain access to the ETS® Data Manager.
If you are an approved Lead Administrator and you would like to designate one or more additional Lead Administrators, click "Manage Existing Users" and select the user you want to designate as a lead. Click "Edit User's Access" and select the Lead Administrator role, then save.
- How long after we complete the Request to Access ETS Score Data form will we get access?
ETS will review your request before giving you access. Please allow 7–10 business days for verification of the information you have provided and the processing of your request.
- How many Lead Administrators can my institution have?
Your institution will need to designate at least one Lead Administrator. Your institution can have as many Lead Administrators as you need to manage the access of all score users and to ensure appropriate access to GRE and TOEFL scores across the institution. Based on feedback we have received, we expect that the number of Lead Administrators at each institution will be relatively small.
- How many Secondary Users can my institution have?
Your institution can have as many Secondary Users as you need to ensure appropriate access to GRE and TOEFL scores across the institution. Based on feedback we have received, we expect that the number of Secondary Users will vary across institutions. Your institution is not required to have any Secondary Users.
- There are different deans at our school. Can each dean identify a Lead Administrator?
Yes, if needed, each dean can identify a Lead Administrator. Your institution can have as many Lead Administrators as you need to manage the access of all score users and to ensure appropriate access to GRE and TOEFL scores across the institution. Based on feedback we have received, we expect that the number of Lead Administrators at each institution will be relatively small.
- I sent my request to the Dean (or Undergraduate Admissions Director) to complete the Lead Administrator form but I have not heard anything. What should I do?
You should complete and submit the Request to Access ETS Score Data form. ETS Code Control will review your request and confirm whether access should be granted with the appropriate staff at your institution.
- I submitted a request to gain access to the ETS Data Manager. The Lead Administrator can see, but not approve, my request in the portal. What should I do?
In some cases, a user's request may include requests to access score data that is managed by different Lead Administrators. For example, the Lead Administrator for GRE scores may be different from the Lead Administrator for TOEFL scores. In those cases, the Lead Administrators may see the relevant portions of the request in their queue but cannot approve them. ETS will review the requests and confirm whether access should be granted with the appropriate Lead Administrators.
In other cases, the system may detect that the user has an existing ETS account for other ETS applications, so ETS needs to review the request to confirm the proper access is granted to the proper account.
- My Lead Administrator resigned from the institution. How do I gain access to the ETS Data Manager now?
If you have one or more other Lead Administrators at your institution, they can go into the system and remove this individual's access rights. If you do not have another Lead Administrator, contact ETS Code Control at firstname.lastname@example.org so that they can remove the individual's access rights and add a new Lead Administrator. If you would like access to the ETS Data Manager, you should complete and submit the Request to Access ETS Score Data form. Your request will be reviewed by other Lead Administrators at your institution, or by ETS Code Control to confirm whether access should be granted.
- My staff member left to go to another institution. Can she use her login credentials to continue to see our data even though she is now at a competing institution?
If a staff member is no longer in a capacity to view scores for your institution, you should ask the Lead Administrator at your institution to disable the staff member's account. If access is not removed, the individual will continue to be able to view your institution's data regardless of employment status.
- Can my staff share login credentials?
Login credentials should not be shared among staff. The Lead Administrator can add as many Secondary Users as your institution needs.
- My student staff changes over each admissions cycle. How do I discontinue access for these individuals?
The Lead Administrator is responsible for adding and removing Secondary Users at your institution. You should send the names of the student staff members who no longer need access to the Lead Administrator so he or she can disable their accounts.
- How do I sign up to be a GRE or TOEFL score recipient?
- A student took both the TOEFL test and the GRE® General Test and showed me a test-taker copy of the score reports. Why do I only see TOEFL data in the ETS Data Manager?
The reason is either because the student did not designate your institution to receive the GRE scores, or your institution is not approved by ETS to receive GRE scores. If the test taker did not designate your institution to receive the scores, the test taker needs to order an additional GRE score report to have an official score report sent directly to your institution. If your institution is currently not accepting GRE scores and wishes to become an official score user, visit the GRE website to learn more.
- If a test taker took the GRE or TOEFL test more than once, can I see all of those scores?
GRE test takers can choose which scores to send to designated institutions with the ScoreSelect® option. Institutions will only see the scores that test takers designate them to see.
TOEFL test takers can also choose which scores to send to institutions.
- Why can't I look up data of all test takers who took the GRE General Test or the TOEFL Test?
GRE and TOEFL policy is that score reports will be released to institutions only upon the request of the test taker. Therefore, a test taker's score information will appear in an institution's ETS Data Manager account only if the test taker specifically directed ETS to send scores to that institution.
- How far back is score data included?
GRE General Test scores and GRE® Subject Test scores are reported for the past five years. TOEFL scores are reported for the past two years.
- How far back are GRE Analytical Writing essay responses reported?
Analytical Writing essay responses are reported back to August 2011; however, only the essay responses of test takers who report their GRE scores to institutions on or after July 1, 2014, are included in the ETS Data Manager.
- Why aren't all test takers' GRE Analytical Writing essay responses included in the Data Manager?
Prior to July 2014, GRE policy stated that a test taker's Analytical Writing responses would not be shared with designated institutions. That policy was changed effective July 1, 2014, so while the ETS Data Manager includes Analytical Writing scores of all individuals who tested in the past five years, only the essay responses of test takers who report their scores to institutions on or after July 1, 2014, are included.
- I do not want admissions committees to see GRE photos. How do I block access?
Each institution can decide the access to provide to its Secondary Users. Access to GRE photos can be blocked by the Lead Administrator(s) when setting up Secondary User accounts.
- How fast do scores appear in the ETS Data Manager?
Score reporting runs occur twice a week, and scores appear in the ETS Data Manager within 24 hours of each score reporting run.
- How do I get electronic downloads without using PGP encryption?
The ETS Data Manager allows you to download score reports or score report data in multiple formats without encryption software. Lead Administrators and Secondary Users can search for score reports or score report data by test date, test-taker name and other criteria to see scores that have been reported to your institution. In addition, an institution's IT staff also has the option to request server-to-server feeds.
- Is the Scorelink® service being discontinued?
If you receive scores via the Scorelink® service, you can continue to do so. The ETS Data Manager will not affect how you are currently receiving GRE and/or TOEFL scores. Rather, it is designed to be a complementary service to further enhance your current admissions, approval or other processes and support the existing GRE and TOEFL score reporting services.
- Can I use both the ETS Data Manager and the Scorelink service?
All score users can use their existing method of receiving GRE and/or TOEFL scores as well as the new ETS Data Manager. The ETS Data Manager allows for fast and convenient viewing capabilities, quick lookup of test-taker information, and easy sorting and filtering of data, all designed to enhance your current admissions, approval or other processes and complement the existing GRE and TOEFL score reporting services.
- How do I set up the ETS Data Manager server-to-server feed?
Contact ETS Code Control at 1-855-242-6478 or email@example.com and they will provide you with the information you need to set up the automated server-to-server feed. The service requires a one-time technical setup by your institution's IT or technology staff. The scores are transmitted through a scripted scheduled job, and require an understanding of programming language such as JAVA, Perl, PHP or .NET. This service is similar to the Scorelink service, but does not require PGP encryption software.
- Can I use the username and password for my institution's server-to-server feed service to sign in to the ETS Data Manager through the ETS Institution Portal?
No. The service account username and password your institution's IT or technology staff receives for inclusion in the script for the automated server-to-server feed process will only work in the script. This username and password is for your institution; it is not intended for individuals to sign in to the ETS Data Manager through the ETS Institution Portal. If your technology representative would like to access scores through the ETS Data Manager, in addition to setting up the server-to-server feed, he or she will need to request separate access and receive an individual username and password.
- The technical contact managing our institution's server-to-server feed service has changed. What do we need to do?
You should contact ETS Code Control at 1-855-242-6478 or firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the new technical contact's name, phone and email address to update our records. You can continue to use the same service account username and password that was set up for your institution in your server-to-server feed script.