Each year, ETS delivers millions of scores to individuals and educational institutions in numerous scoring methods and through a variety of reporting formats. Our work is more than tallying answers — the process also includes:
- examining results to ensure that our tests accurately measure what they intend to measure
- producing reliable and consistent results that are fair to all
The results provided to your institutions and stakeholders reflect this process in terms of accuracy and meaningfulness of scores, and the usefulness and comprehensibility of the score reports we provide.
Selecting the Best Scoring Method Format
We can help you select scoring methods that are efficient, cost-effective and appropriate to both the test item and the purpose of the assessment.
- Machine scoring: We score millions of multiple-choice tests each year in paper-delivered and computer-delivered formats. We can help you with security concerns regarding transportation of forms. Our high-speed scanning process provides you with fast and accurate results.
- Human Scorers: We support distributed scoring for your teachers to score constructed-response and performance tasks remotely. You can elect to use trained ETS scorers for some high-stakes assessments.
- Automated Scoring: Our holistic writing scoring processes can accurately evaluate written student responses and provide qualitative feedback and quantitative scores for students and teachers.
Data, Information and Reports
Why do we assess student learning? To receive actionable data that helps our learning communities provide the proper instruction. Data reporting from ETS can be scaled to meet the objectives of your assessment. ETS has the capacity to support tiered, secure, client-defined access to data reports for stakeholder groups with:
- Web-based Reporting Portals for states, districts and schools
- Printable Reports in traditional formats for parents, teachers and administrators
- Data Dashboards and Information systems that display learning trends and drill down reporting
ETS supports your assessment program with a full range of psychometric services that ensure you receive accurate, usable and defendable results.
These services include:
- Equating and scaling analyses
- Validating test items
- Performing normative studies
- Analyzing test data (through classical and item-response theory)
- Equating test forms
- Performing standard-setting activities
- Providing longitudinal studies
Learn more about how we improve the student test experience through technology.
Learn more about how we perform our work in assessment development.
Learn how we use research to design assessments that are fair to all groups.
Explore the big ideas in educational assessments. Sign up for our new e-newsletter, Trends & Innovations.