Special Information for Publication Titles, Websites or Mobile Apps that Contain ETS Trademarks
- The title should clearly identify the product or service.
- All letters and characters in the title should be capitalized, in plain block font and in one color ink. Letters or characters should not be stretched or distorted and should appear to be the same height, width and thickness. The entire title should run either vertically or horizontally, e.g.
- Correct: XYZ COMPANY PREPARATION FOR THE TOEFL® TEST. [title]
- Not Correct: TOEFL® TEST PREPARATION GUIDE. [title]
- An ETS trademark, its registry symbol and an appropriate generic term should appear on the same line in the title. For websites, each web page should display the registry symbol after the first and most prominent use of the trademark.
- When an ETS trademark is used in a title, the background behind the title should be a solid color. If there is a pattern background on your product, the title can be placed in a box in order to create a solid background behind the title.
- When you reference ETS trademarks, the following notice should appear on the front cover of publications or materials, opening or welcome screens of mobile apps, and at the bottom of each web page in a legible print size and color so that it is easily read by the consumer, e.g.,
“TOEIC [insert appropriate trademark] is a registered trademark of ETS. This product is not endorsed or approved by ETS.”
Note: Publishers are expected to take responsibility to ensure that their authors, editors, licensees and/or sub-contractors are in compliance with these Guidelines as well as with applicable copyright and trademark laws.
Importantly, ETS copyrighted material cannot be used without permission. Learn more about requesting permission.
Trademark Review and Approval
Send an electronic color copy of your proposed material, including the front and back cover and the spine in a .pdf or .jpg format, and an English translation of all foreign characters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If electronic copies are not available, send a color hardcopy and its corresponding English translation to:
||ETS; c/o Trademark Administrator; 660 Rosedale Road, Mail Stop 05-J
Princeton, NJ 08541; USA
Plan in advance. Response time is approximately 10 business days.
These Guidelines are not meant to be an exhaustive list of instructions and are subject to revisions from time to time.