- What is the ParaPro Assessment?
- The ParaPro Assessment is for prospective and practicing paraprofessionals. It measures skills and knowledge in reading, math and writing and the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to assist in classroom instruction.
- What is the format and length of the test?
- This two-and-a-half-hour test consists of 90 selected-response questions in reading, writing and math. Approximately two-thirds of the questions focus on basic skills and knowledge and the remaining one-third focus on applying those skills and knowledge in a classroom setting.
- In what language is the test?
- The test is in English.
- How is the test given?
- The test is delivered on computer at participating school districts, regional offices of education, and other agencies, or remotely on your own computer at home or another secure location.
- How much does the test cost?
Test center appointments: The test fee is $55. Some test centers may charge an additional premium or proctoring fee. Contact your test center directly for additional information.
At home appointments: The test fee is $91 and the reschedule fee is $45.50.
All fees are nonrefundable.
- Which states have selected the ParaPro Assessment?
- For states and school districts that use the ParaPro Assessment, and for the qualifying scores for each state, see the State and School District Requirements listing.
- When and where can I take the test?
Test center testing: This test is administered continuously throughout the year at participating school districts, institutions and education service centers. Contact your preferred test center directly for available dates. See ParaPro test centers.
Note: Each local school district may not have specific testing center/test dates information to provide if they are not administering the ParaPro Assessment.
At home testing: The ParaPro test at home is available 8 a.m.–5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday via ProProctor®. You can test on your own computer at home or another secure location. Before you register, make sure that you meet the equipment and environment requirements. To view available dates and time, log in to the ProProctor online registration system.
- How do I register for a test center appointment?
To schedule an appointment at a test center, contact the test center directly. See a list of ParaPro test centers.
Note: Each local school district may not have specific test center/test dates information to provide if they are not administering the ParaPro Assessment.
- How do I register for an at home appointment?
To schedule an at home appointment, register online through your ProProctor account.
Note: Before you register, be sure that you meet the equipment and environment requirements.
- How are scores reported?
If you take the test at a test center: Your unofficial scores are available onscreen and can be printed at the end of the test.
If you take the test at home: Your unofficial scores will be emailed to you within one hour after taking the test.
Your official score report is mailed approximately two to three weeks after the test date and is reported to the school district you selected as a score recipient during the biographical questionnaire.
If you test in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia or Washington, your score is automatically sent to the state's teacher credentialing office.
- How do I know whether I passed the test?
- Each state or district is responsible for establishing score guidelines. Your official score report tells you the passing score set by the state or district and whether you passed. If your score report doesn't provide the passing score, it's because your state or district hasn't yet established one.
- What test preparation is available?
- ETS has developed an interactive practice test for test takers to help them prepare for the Assessment. The free Study Companion and other useful tips are also available.