Task 1 of the PPAT® assessment is scored locally at the test taker’s educator preparation program so that the he or she can become properly oriented to the student teaching experience. Tasks 2, 3 and 4 are scored centrally by ETS-trained raters.
Scores for Tasks 2, 3 and 4 and the overall cumulative score are issued to test takers and to educator preparation programs. Test takers are scored not only on each task (with Task 4 counting as double), but at each step within each task. As a result, they receive granular feedback about their performance.
The overall cumulative score is the sum of the Task 2, 3 and 4 scores. Passing scores are established at the overall cumulative score level. Test takers who do not meet the passing score for the assessment will have an opportunity to resubmit one, two or all three tasks for a fee during the resubmission window immediately after scores are issued.
Test-taker Score Reports
Individual task score reports for test takers contain scores and feedback for each step within the task and the task score.
Test takers receive two score reports via their online account:
- A score report for Task 2 and Task 3 is issued approximately three weeks after the Task 2/Task 3 deadline date.
- A score report for Task 2, Task 3 and Task 4 including the overall cumulative score for the assessment is issued approximately three weeks after the Task 4 deadline date. If test takers resubmit any tasks, this report will be reissued approximately three weeks after the resubmission deadline date.
The Feedback for Step Scores
The test-taker score report includes feedback for each step score within a task. This feedback:
- guides the test taker to improve the quality of evidence in the step responses
- addresses the possible qualitative and quantitative level of the evidence that the test taker provided in step responses
- is connected to the language of the task rubrics and the language of the guiding prompts
- is helpful to the test taker when deciding whether or not to resubmit a task
How Educator Preparation Programs (EPPs) Receive Score Reports
Individual task scores and the overall cumulative score for the assessment are available in the ETS® Data Manager. The test taker's EPP automatically receives scores. Individuals at the EPP with approval to access scores in the ETS Data Manager have access to the scores approximately three weeks after the Task 4 deadline. If test takers resubmit any tasks, this report will be reissued approximately three weeks after the resubmission deadline date.
Collaborating for Success: How to Use the PPAT Assessment to Support Teacher Candidates
Watch a panel of education professionals discuss the need for, the utility of, and the implementation of performance assessments. (1hr.)
An Effective Measurement
Watch State Teachers of the Year share their opinions about the PPAT assessment and how it incorporates the necessary elements to measure teacher candidate effectiveness. (3 mins., 4 secs.)