In addition to information contained within the pages of this website, the following materials are available as free downloads to help you prepare for the assessment.
PASL Candidate and Educator Handbook
The PASL Candidate and Educator Handbook is a valuable resource for completing the assessment. It includes a basic overview of the assessment and test-taking strategies, as well as information on:
- How to prioritize your activities and organize your thinking, as you build your responses.
- Guidelines for writing — each task requires some form of written response. It is imperative that you understand what kind of writing (descriptive, analytic or reflective) is required by each guiding prompt.
- Collecting evidence — evidence is found in the information that you provide within your written commentary and in the artifacts that you submit. Learn what you need to know about evidence, how to select evidence for your tasks, and how to submit both student and teacher artifacts as evidence.
- How to prepare for the video recording, how to record your sessions, how to analyze your video and the importance of practice videos. The video is meant to provide as authentic and complete a view of your leadership practice as possible.
- Scoring of tasks.
Review the task overview information and type of evidence required. For complete task requirements including activities, guiding prompts and artifacts see the assessment tasks and rubrics.
Below are some resources that you can use to familiarize yourself with the PASL.
- About the Ancillary Materials
The ancillary materials described here were created to provide direction for the school leader candidate.
This resource consists of terms that are essential for school leader candidates to know so they can successfully complete this performance assessment. This resource provides specific definitions that reflect the meaning of each term in the context of this assessment.
- Task Requirements
Learn about what each task requires, including guiding prompts, detailed instructions and the rubrics used to evaluate the evidence you provide.
- Plan Template
Use this form to organize your thoughts before working with colleagues and to guide your planning process. The form is generic and can be applied to each of the three tasks.
- Walk-through Observation Form
Walk-through Observation Form
Use this form in conjunction with the informal walk-throughs associated with the professional development experience that is the focus of Task 2. This form specifically applies to what you see occurring in the classroom that relates to the identified Task 2 professional development.
- Post-Professional Development Feedback Survey
Post-Professional Development Feedback Survey
This survey specifically relates to Task 2 and is designed to elicit feedback from colleagues involved in the professional development experience. The results of this survey can help guide your reflection required in Step 4.
Task 3 Video
The assessment requires the submission of a video. Become familiar with your recording equipment and the size and type of the video file you will create. The submission system where you upload your video has specific requirements as to the type and size of video file that is acceptable for uploading. Ensure your video file meets these requirements to avoid delays when uploading. Learn more about the Videos.
Understanding the Online Submission System
You will submit your tasks in an online environment. Review the Submission System User Guide for helpful information on navigating the system and entering your responses.
- Assessment Tasks and Rubrics
- Library of Examples
- Permission Forms
- Written Commentary
- Frequently Asked Questions