You must register for the PPAT® assessment through your online account.
Before You Register
- This assessment is administered twice per year during pre-established submission windows. These windows were created to align as closely as possible to your student teaching schedule. Before registering for the assessment, you must determine the submission window that best fits your schedule. Review the Dates and Deadlines.
- Check the Fees and Payment Policies.
- If you need accommodations for disability or health-related needs, you must request accommodations.
How to Register
Follow these steps to register for the PPAT assessment:
- Create an ETS® Performance Assessment Account. To purchase the assessment, create an account in the online registration system and establish your own user name and password. You will receive an email confirming that you have successfully created your account. This account is where you access your performance assessment, submit your tasks and view your scores.
- Select Your Test and Submission Window. Follow the instructions to purchase your assessment. Verify that the state you are seeking certification in appears above the list of assessments. Be sure to select the appropriate submission window that best conforms to your student teaching schedule. See Dates and Deadlines for additional information on submission windows.
- Identify Your Educator Preparation Program. When prompted, select the state and educator preparation program (EPP) that is requiring you to take the assessment. The EPP you select automatically receives your scores for the assessment, which includes individual scores for Tasks 2, 3 and 4. If you are not currently enrolled in an EPP in the state where you are seeking certification or if you are a teacher of record who is taking the assessment to meet reciprocity requirements during your first year of teaching, please select the state where you are seeking certification and the "Prepared out of state" listing from the drop-down menu.
- Select Score Recipients. Your cumulative score and highest scores for each task are automatically sent to the EPP you selected. If you are seeking certification in a state that has established a PPAT passing score with ETS, the state certification agency will automatically receive a copy of your scores. You may select up to four additional score recipients at no extra cost. You can add or modify these recipients up until 10 p.m. ET the night before the Task 4 submission deadline. If you wish your scores to be sent to a state certification department, be sure to select them as a score recipient.
Answer Background Information and Assessment-related Questions. You will be asked to provide demographic and other background information that may be used for research purposes. In addition, you will be asked to respond to several questions relating to your student teaching experience.
Oklahoma candidates: If you are seeking certification in Oklahoma, you must provide a response to questions relating to undergraduate/graduate major fields and certification fields.
- Pay. The test registration fee is $300. You can pay by credit/debit card (American Express®, Discover®, JCB® Card, MasterCard® or VISA®), eCheck or through PayPal™. See Fees and Payment for additional information.
- Confirmation. You will receive an email confirming your registration.
Register for Resubmission
If your assessment score falls below the passing score for the assessment, you are eligible to resubmit any or all three tasks (Task 2, 3 or 4) for a fee. Only one resubmission per task is permitted during the resubmission window. The resubmission window immediately follows the reporting of your total assessment scores. To register for resubmission, select your appointment number from the "View Scores" page. Next, select the "Resubmit Appointment" link under the Actions heading. Select the assessment submission window. You will be presented with a list of the three tasks. Select the task(s) for which you wish to register and proceed to Checkout.
Customer Service Representatives are available Monday–Friday, from 8 a.m.–6 p.m. ET (except for U.S. holidays).
Email us with questions or comments.