Overview of Alabama Testing Requirements
Alabama's testing program has been adopted by the Alabama State Board of Education. The Alabama Educator Certification Assessment Program (AECAP) consists of the basic skills assessments and Praxis® Subject Assessments (formerly the Praxis II® tests) (content knowledge and pedagogical knowledge).
All applicants seeking certification in Alabama must successfully complete the current requirements of the AECAP, as applicable.
All applicants seeking to reinstate an Alabama certificate that has lapsed for less than 12 months may choose to successfully complete the current AECAP required Praxis Subject Assessments for certificate reinstatement.
All applicants seeking to reinstate an Alabama certificate that has lapsed for more than 12 months must successfully complete the current AECAP required Praxis Subject Assessments for certificate reinstatement.
Choose from one of the certification approaches to the left for specific testing requirements.
Visit the Alabama Department of Education's (ALSDE) website for specific information about the Alabama certification approaches.
- Alabama requires your complete and accurate Social Security number (SSN) to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Alabama with your Praxis results. Submitting your registration without your complete and accurate SSN will delay processing of your Alabama certification application.
- If you test in Alabama, your score report will be sent automatically to the Alabama State Department of Education. If you test outside of Alabama, select the Alabama State Department of Education (state code 7020) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Alabama requires official electronic score reports directly from ETS. Alabama does not accept paper score reports. Praxis® scores (current and discontinued) are only reportable by ETS for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- As of the 2014–15 testing year, ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing. However, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs