Alabama's testing program has been adopted by the Alabama State Board of Education. The Alabama Educator Certification Assessment Program (AECAP) consists of the Praxis® Subject Assessments (content knowledge and pedagogical knowledge).
- Praxis Subject Assessments (content knowledge),
- Praxis® Principles of Learning and Teaching (pedagogical knowledge), and
- edTPA® Educative Teacher Performance Assessment (pedagogical knowledge).
Individuals seeking certification in Alabama must successfully complete the current requirements of the AECAP, as applicable.
Individuals seeking to reinstate an Alabama certificate that has lapsed for less than 12 months may choose to successfully complete the current AECAP required Praxis Subject Assessments (content tests) for certificate reinstatement.
All individuals seeking to reinstate an Alabama certificate that has lapsed for more than 12 months must successfully complete the current AECAP required Praxis Subject Assessments (content tests) for certificate reinstatement.
Choose from one of the certification approaches to the left for specific testing requirements.
Important: TEST CHANGES and SCORE INCREASES are effective for tests taken and applications received in the Educator Certification Section of the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) on or after September 1, 2020. The score earned on the date a test was taken MAY or MAY NOT be deemed as "passing" when the test taker's application is received in the Educator Certification Section of the ALSDE. Information can be viewed in the Educator Assessment Policies.
Visit the Alabama State Department of Education's (ALSDE) website for specific information about the Alabama certification approaches.
- If you test in Alabama at a testing center or using the Praxis at home solution, and your Praxis profile address is in Alabama, your score report will be sent automatically to the Alabama State Department of Education.
- If you test outside Alabama or your Praxis profile address is not in Alabama, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the Alabama State Department of Education. To have your scores sent to the Alabama State Department of Education, you must select the Alabama State Department of Education (state code 7020) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the Alabama State Department of Education (state code 7020) with each additional score report request.
- Alabama requires official electronic score reports directly from ETS. Alabama does not accept paper score reports. Praxis® scores (current and discontinued) are only reportable by ETS for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing, however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs