Overview of Alabama Testing Requirements
Alabama's testing program has been adopted by the Alabama State Board of Education. The Alabama Educator Certification Assessment Program (AECAP) consists of the Praxis Subject Assessments (content knowledge and pedagogical knowledge).
- Praxis Subject Assessments (content knowledge),
- Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (pedagogical knowledge),
- edTPA® Educative Teacher Performance Assessment (pedagogical knowledge), and
- Foundations of Reading (foundational reading assessment).
Individuals seeking certification in Alabama must successfully complete the current requirements of the AECAP, as applicable.
See the Licensure Requirements page to find specific testing requirements information about the different certification approaches.
TEST CHANGES and SCORE INCREASES are effective for tests taken and applications received in the Educator Certification Section of the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) on or after September 1, 2022. The score earned on the date a test was taken MAY or MAY NOT be deemed as "passing" when the test taker's application is received in the Educator Certification Section of the ALSDE. Additional information regarding testing may be found in the Educator Assessment Policies Manual A and Manual B on the Alabama Teacher Certification page at the Alabama State Department of Education website.
Visit the Alabama State Department of Education's (ALSDE) website for specific information about the Alabama certification approaches.
- If you test in Alabama at a test center or at home, and your Praxis profile address is in Alabama, your score report will be sent automatically to the Alabama State Department of Education.
- If you test outside Alabama or your Praxis profile address is not in Alabama, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the Alabama State Department of Education. To have your scores sent to the Alabama State Department of Education, you must select the Alabama State Department of Education (state code 7020) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the Alabama State Department of Education (state code 7020) with each additional score report request.
- Alabama requires official electronic score reports directly from ETS. Alabama does not accept paper score reports. Praxis scores (current and discontinued) are only reportable by ETS for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations.