How to Qualify for Certification
Individuals seeking California certification must meet the academic and/or experience requirements for their specific certification area. Prospective California educators are encouraged to visit the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website for complete details on requirements, examinations and approved educator preparation programs.
- If you test in California at a testing center or using the Praxis at home solution, and your Praxis profile address is in California, your score report will be sent automatically to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- If you test outside California or your Praxis profile address is not in California, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. To have your scores sent to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, you must select the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (state code 8541) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (state code 8541) with each additional score report request.
- Even though Educational Testing Service (ETS) does not require a candidate's Social Security number (SSN), the California CTC currently matches test results sent to them by ETS based on the candidate's full SSN. Credential applicants who list the California CTC as a score recipient and do not give their full SSN, may experience a delay in having their credential application processed or be required to submit their score results with their credential application.
- Other than the basic skills examination and select bilingual examinations, passing exam scores must be used towards California certification within five years of the passing date.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Information on the examinations required for the type of certification you are seeking can be found in the Examinations (PDF) section of the California CTC website.
- About the Praxis® Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs