How to Qualify for Certification
To qualify for initial educator, Basic I, certification in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), all candidates must:
- Earn either a baccalaureate, master's or doctoral degree resulting from a course of instruction of at least three and one-half years length at a college or university recognized by the U.S. Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or its successors.
- Complete general application requirements:
- certification application
- two (2) passport size photos
- official transcripts
- teaching certificate (if any)
- payment of the certification processing fee
- FBI fingerprint submission
- proof of passing all three Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests and the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments. Please see the test requirements page for more details on these tests.
Contact the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands for individual educator certification requirements.
Who Must Take the Tests?
All individuals applying for CNMI Educator Certification must successfully pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate educator qualification.
In the CNMI, the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessments for each area of certification sought are available in lieu of a degree in the content areas listed.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs