How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Connecticut, all candidates must:
- Complete an approved educator preparation program and specific coursework for the certification endorsement area(s)
- Demonstrate essential skills and subject knowledge by passing the appropriate Praxis® Core and Praxis® Subject Assessments (formerly the Praxis II® tests) for their certification area
- Submit the appropriate certification form and fees
Visit the Connecticut State Department of Education website for more information on certification.
- As of the 2014–15 testing year, ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing. However, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. The Assessment of Signed Communication – American Sign Language test (0632) will continue to be delivered in its current format.
- Connecticut requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Connecticut with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN may delay processing of your certification application.
- If you test at a center located in the state of Connecticut, your score(s) will be automatically released to the Connecticut State Department of Education. However, please note that the score may not be accepted unless your correct social security number appears on the score report.
Who Must Take the Tests?
By state law, all individuals seeking formal admission to an educator preparation program or certification in Connecticut must take and pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics, OR obtain a State Board-approved waiver.
Additionally, you will need to take the Praxis Subject Assessments if you are applying for one of the following:
- your first Connecticut certificate in one of the endorsement areas (see Guide to Assessments for Educator Certification in Connecticut) in which passing the Praxis Subject Assessments are required
- renewal of a lapsed Connecticut certificate in one of the areas in which the Praxis Subject Assessments are required
- an additional endorsement in one or more of the areas in which the Praxis Subject Assessments are required
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Alternative Certification
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs