How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Connecticut, all candidates must:
- Complete an approved educator preparation program and specific coursework for the certification endorsement area(s)
- Demonstrate essential skills and subject knowledge by passing the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments for their certification area
- Submit the appropriate certification form and fees
Visit the Connecticut State Department of Education website for more information on certification.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. The American Sign Language Proficiency Interview (0634) will continue to be delivered in its current format.
- Connecticut requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Connecticut with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN may delay processing of your certification application.
- If you test at a center located in the state of Connecticut, your score(s) will be automatically released to the Connecticut State Department of Education. However, please note that the score may not be accepted unless your correct Social Security number appears on the score report. If you test using the Praxis tests at home solution in Connecticut, or outside of Connecticut at a testing center, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the Connecticut State Department of Education. If you test using the Praxis tests at home solution in Connecticut, or outside of Connecticut at a testing center, you must select the Connecticut State Department of Education (state code 7050) as a score recipient when you register. For all methods of testing, you also must select the Connecticut State Department of Education (state code 7050) each time you complete an additional score report request.
Who Must Take the Tests?
By state law, each person formally admitted to a State Board of Education (SBE) approved teacher preparation program in Connecticut is required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics or one of the other State Board of Education approved equivalent assessments (SAT, ACT, GRE) to meet the state competency examination requirements for reading, writing and mathematics. The results shall be used as a diagnostic tool, in accordance with guidelines adopted by the SBE, to provide necessary remediation and support while enrolled in a preparation program. If you need to take the Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to meet this requirement, please follow the steps outlined below to register:
- Log into your Praxis account
- Select the "Register for a Praxis test link"
- Select the "I Agree" button
- Select the "Continue" button after confirming your personal information
- Select the "EPP Test Requirements" button to view a full list of Praxis tests. The Core Reading, Writing, Mathematics and Combined tests will be available in this list.
Additionally, you will need to take the Praxis Subject Assessments if you are applying for one of the following:
- your first Connecticut certificate in one of the endorsement areas (see Guide to Assessments for Educator Certification in Connecticut) in which passing the Praxis Subject Assessments are required
- renewal of a lapsed Connecticut certificate in one of the areas in which the Praxis Subject Assessments are required
- an additional endorsement in one or more of the areas in which the Praxis Subject Assessments are required
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Alternative Certification
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs