How to Qualify for Certification
To qualify for initial educator certification in Guam, all candidates must:
- Earn a degree from an approved educator preparation program from a recognized foreign institution of higher learning recognized by the U.S. Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or its successors.
- Be non-education preparation program graduates who can present evidence of successfully completing the following requirements: A) earn a degree from an accredited college or university; B) complete an approved program (in content area) from an accredited college or university; and C) complete an educational program aligned with Guam Professional Teacher Standards.
- Earn a Grade Point Average of 2.70 or higher.
- Successfully pass all three Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests, one of the Praxis® Principles of Learning and Teaching tests and the appropriate content test(s). Please see the test requirements page for more details on these tests.
Refer to the Guam Commission for Educator Certification website for individual educator certification requirements.
Who Must Take the Tests?
All individuals applying for Guam Professional Educator Certification shall successfully pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate educator qualification.
In Guam, the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments for each area of certification you seek are available in lieu of a degree in the content areas listed.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs