Overview of Guam Testing Requirements
How to qualify for certification
To qualify for initial educator certification in Guam, all candidates must:
- Earn a degree from an approved educator preparation program from a recognized foreign institution of higher learning recognized by the U.S. Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or its successors.
- Be non-education preparation program graduates who can present evidence of successfully completing the following requirements: A) earn a degree from an accredited college or university; B) complete an approved program (in content area) from an accredited college or university; and C) complete an educational program aligned with Guam Professional Teacher Standards.
- Earn a Grade Point Average of 2.70 or higher.
- Successfully pass all three Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests, one of the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching tests and the appropriate content test(s). Please see the test requirements page for more details on these tests.
Refer to the Guam Commission for Educator Certification website for individual educator certification requirements.
Who must take the tests?
All individuals applying for Guam Professional Educator Certification shall successfully pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate educator qualification.
In Guam, the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessments for each area of certification you seek are available in lieu of a degree in the content areas listed.
Frequently asked questions
New teachers must:
- Successfully pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests in Reading, Mathematics and Writing for a Temporary Teaching Certificate
- Successfully pass the Core tests in Reading, Mathematics and Writing; one of the Praxis Principles of Learning & Teaching (PLT) tests; and the appropriate content test(s) for an Initial Educator Certificate. See the test requirements page for more details on these tests.
Yes, we require official score reports, not copies of your scores. Please designate our office as a score recipient. Our code is R7150. This will allow ETS to send your official score report to us.